Are Scented Candles Toxic?

Cora Derby
    Candles never fail to create a cozy space.

As the weather cools down, candles are often used to create a warm and cozy atmosphere indoors. They are known to have a calming effect in a room, which is something one looks forward to when lighting a candle. What many don’t know, though, is that scented candles can actually be very harmful, and can result in breathing problems and other health issues. 

Do the benefits outweigh the negatives of lighting candles? Are there scented candles people can burn worry-free?

I find that I tend to prefer candles with a light scent. Although I don’t light candles in my house often, I enjoy the fresh smells and ambiance they bring into the space.

— Dana Joo (10)

To start off, there are a variety of benefits to lighting a candle. They can improve one’s mood, sleep, and productivity levels, while keeping them focused and calm. Studies show that certain smells are linked to good memories, foods, and feelings. Therefore, lighting a scented candle can improve one’s overall mental health, which is an easy way for busy people to relax. Many students at Yorba Linda High School take advantage of these benefits by lighting candles throughout their own homes when they’ve had a stressful day. “I find that I tend to prefer candles with a light scent. Although I don’t light candles in my house often, I enjoy the fresh smells and ambiance they bring into the space”, shares Dana Joo (10).

Despite the benefits, there are also some negatives associated with scented candles. Since companies are not required to list ingredients on their candle labels, most candles contain harmful ingredients, such as synthetic fragrance oils and paraffin wax. When burned, candles containing these ingredients release chemicals that are bad for the human body. They can trigger allergies and health issues, which is something no one wants to worry about when enjoying a candle.

On a positive note, there are some options for those who want to burn scented candles safely. Candles made of coconut or soy wax provide cleaner air quality, while still creating the same cozy atmosphere that most other candles create. Candles scented with essential oils or phthalate-free fragrance are also much better for the body, and don’t cause health problems like most commercial scented candles.

There are also options for scenting your home that do not involve burning a candle. Using an essential oil diffuser is a great alternative. It adds moisture into the air while bringing in a nice aroma, without all the harsh chemicals used in most scented candles. Making a stovetop potpourri also creates a nice scent, and it’s natural. It involves boiling good smelling items such as cinnamon sticks, orange peels, cloves, vanilla, nutmeg, and more. Baking is also a great way to make a home smell good. It creates a nice aroma of baked goods while also providing sweet treats.

Overall, scented candles come with many pros and cons. Although most smell great, everyone should be careful when choosing what candle to light inside their home. Whichever method one uses to create a nice aroma, precaution and research should be done just to be safe. Anyone who enjoys a nice scent in their home should find a safe way to create it.

View Comments (1)