Pros of Joining YLHS Track and Field

My+friends+and+I+on+team+picture+day.+
    Magic Moments Sports Photography
    My friends and I on team picture day.

YLHS’s track program has it all, and for an incoming freshman it is the perfect way to meet new people, get familiarized with YLHS’ culture, and participate on campus.

“I didn’t realize the abundance of opportunity this program had to offer, and with just a little bit of hard work and dedication I was able to become pole vault team captain.”

— Jefferey Ha (11)

From sprints to pole vault, there’s an event for absolutely everyone. You can compete in multiple events, even if they’re polar opposites so you’re able to explore all your interests.

1. Track and field is the number one way to stay fit and keep up your mental health, and the best part is that you can essentially choose your workout depending on the event you choose. Whether it be sprinting, long-distance running, jumping, throwing, or vaulting, each event’s workout will definitely keep you in shape and help break up the day between school and homework. Oftentimes we procrastinate because we’re too exhausted from studying all day at school to studying at home. Our routine becomes mundane and it can feel repetitive. Going to track practice is a great way to introduce some variation into your routine and get outside.

2. If you’re part of another sport and have trouble figuring out what to do in your off season, track is the way to go. Practice doesn’t eat away at your time and it doesn’t cost as much as other sports because there’s not nearly as much equipment needed.

3. Though teamwork and leadership opportunities can be found in most clubs and other electives, track is the easiest extra curricular to integrate into. Opportunities to have leadership experiences (that you can put on your college application) are everywhere.  “I didn’t realize the abundance of opportunity this program had to offer, and with just a little bit of hardwork and dedication I was able to become pole vault team captain” (Jeffrey Ha 11).

4. Most people don’t realize the scholarship potential. There are so many different events: high jump, long jump, triple jump, pole vault, throws, any kind of sprint, that you are bound to find your niche. Plus, it is much easier to get noticed because track and field is primarily a solo sport. Recruiters aren’t looking as much as your ability to work with others or your attitude on and off the field. Really all they’re basing their decision off of is how high you can jump and how fast you can run. And depending on the program you’re aiming for, these numbers are fairly realistic. If you join with any sort of natural athletic ability and show up to practice each day, you have a shot at getting a scholarship in that event.