Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Valentine’s Gift Guide

Isabelle Gregg
    Just one cute and thoughtful idea for a Valentine’s gift for your loved one: complete with flowers, candles, and a jellycat stuffed animal!

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, many people frantically search for that perfect gift for their friends or significant others. Valentine’s Gifts don’t have to be big, flashy, or expensive. Instead, I feel that the small, heartfelt gifts mean much more to loved ones. I went around and asked students at YLHS what gifts they hoped to give and receive, curating a perfect gift guide for Valentine’s Day 2024. 

• Budget Friendly Gifts

These first couple of gift ideas are perfect for significant others or simply friends. First, an extremely low budget yet thoughtful gift is a long handwritten note, along with little keepsakes from your relationship (old movie/concert tickets, photo booth pictures, etc). Pair the note along with their favorite candy, for a simple but personal gift your loved one won’t forget. Another affordable gift is a collage or scrapbook full of pictures with your friend/significant others and pictures of things that the other person loves and cherishes. Making these gifts may be more time consuming, but truly shows the love and effort you’re putting into the relationship. 

• Baskets

Another idea that may be a little bit more costly is a Valentine’s basket. Baskets are such an amazing idea because they are simple to put together and easily customizable to each person. Throw in a few of their favorite snacks and drinks. For guys, add an affordable cologne, a LEGO set to make together, or a small giftcard to their favorite place to get food. For girls, include her favorite candles, lotions, or lip products. Some that she’s guaranteed to like are a Voluspa candle, a L’occitane scented lotion, or a Summer Friday’s lip balm. 

• More Costly Gift Ideas

Rayva Sehmi (10) says “[she] would love to receive flowers, chocolate, jewelry or clothes” for Valentine’s day. If she is into clothes and fashion, instead of trying to guess statement pieces she may like, stick with safer and simpler items. Get her almost any lounge set or hoodie from Skims, and she is guaranteed to love it. When looking for other hoodies or basics, check out White Fox, Aritzia, or Amazon. Next, jellycat stuffed animals have been super popular recently and are a cute gift to get her for Valentine’s day. The “Bashful Red Love Heart Bunny” is a good safe option. If you’re looking to get her a perfume or fragrance, a few suggestions are the Glossier “You” perfume, Burberry’s “Goddess,” or Lancome’s “La Vie Est Belle.” All three of these perfumes have such a sweet and fresh scent. I know perfume can become very expensive, so a great option is to get her a mini roller instead of a full bottle. 

For guys, some pricier gifts are a nice cologne, tickets to his favorite team’s game, a new wallet, hoodies, or shoes. A few cologne options are Dolce and Gabbana’s “Light Blue” or Ralph Lauren’s “Polo Black.” If you want to get him clothes, hoodies are always a safe bet. Get him an Abercrombie hoodie or a basic Essentials hoodie. For shoes, Adidas’ “Sambas” or “Campus” or Birkenstock’s “Bostons.”

favorite thing about Valentine’s Day is that it’s the day of celebrating love and you get to see love all around you

— Rayva Sehmi

Although these are all amazing gift ideas for Valentine’s Day, it is important to remember that holidays like these are less about the gifts and more about those we love. Rayva Sehmi concludes that “[her] favorite thing about Valentine’s Day is that it’s the day of celebrating love and you get to see love all around you.” This Valentine’s day, remind people in your life that you love them and continuously spread love and kindness within your family, school, and community. When buying these gifts, remember why we give on Valentines Day, and think about ways to continue giving all year round.