Second Semester for Seniors

Ryann+Herman+and+Emma+Perron+%28me%29+watching+the+sunrise+on+the+last+first+day+of+high+school.+
    Emma Perron
    Ryann Herman and Emma Perron (me) watching the sunrise on the last first day of high school.

The high school experience for the class of 2024 is nearing the end. In just under five months, we will be graduating from the place we have called home for the past four years. While trying to soak in the time we have left here, there are many things to look forward to and be excited about. A sneak peek into the activities is dances, pep rallies, final sports games, senior week, and obviously graduation.

With the second semester starting in February, there are many things to look forward to. There is national signing day (February 7th) and Winter Formal on February 24th. 

Sadly, February is the start of the last season for senior athletes; some are playing their sport for the last time, and it will end in March. March has the theater’s previous show, which is Oklahoma. Along with arts, the band has their festival at PAC on March 26th and the Orchestra at VHS on March 27th. 

Every student always waits for the next school break and wants to spend time with friends and family and travel, and in April, we have our last spring break as high school students, which is April 1st through the 5th. 

May is a big month for the seniors. It is their last full month of school, and many exciting things await them. Starting the month off, there is AP testing for two weeks, the 6-17. For many seniors, this is their last time stressing about these tests, but in the end, they will look back at all the AP and honor classes they took and appreciate how hard they have worked for this moment. On a happier note, Dance Co performs their last show on 9-11, and they always perform well with storytelling. Without a doubt, if you have never seen a dance co-show while at YLHS, this is your last opportunity before leaving. 

One of the best things YLHS has to offer for social events is its dances. On May 18th, there is a prom for juniors and seniors. For the last time, we will all get ready with friends, take pictures, eat dinner, and dance our hearts out on the dance floor. 

Along with celebrating our last dance is the Senior Awards on May 21st. It is an invitation-only and will take place from 5:30-8:00 pm to showcase our seniors. 

We may also have to offer the YLHS Art Show (22-24) and the Farewell Assembly to us seniors on May 24th, which is also the yearbook dedication. May has a lot of fun for seniors, and it is starting to feel like the end of an era. However, June is just right around the corner, offering all the fun senior activities. Ryann Herman (12), expresses “I am most looking forward to all of the senior activities. I am excited for all of the senior fun.” 

I am most looking forward to all of the senior activities. I am excited for all of the senior fun.

— Ryann Herman (12)

June has the Summer Sendoff on June 7th, which is also yearbook distribution. The week of June 10-12th is the senior activity all the seniors wait for all year. On Monday, June 10th, there is Senior Breakfast, picking up cap and gown. The day before graduation, June 11th, is one of the best days at Disneyland. It is a day to spend time with friends and celebrate all the hard work for the past four years. With mixed emotions, June 12th is the day we graduate from the place we have called home for the past four years. It is the ending of high school but the beginning of a new adventure, with tough goodbyes and tears. Our graduation is a celebration of work for the past 18 years of our life. 

Congratulations to the class of 2024 on finishing your first semester of senior year. I hope you have the best last semester of high school and make it one to remember.