Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Mustang Basketball Is Back!!

Yorba+Linda+Mens+basketball+team+having+some+fun+together+up+on+the+school+sign.+
    Magic Moments Sports Photography
    Yorba Linda Men’s basketball team having some fun together up on the school sign.

It’s finally that time of year again! Mustang basketball is back and we are more excited than ever. Mustang Madness was just the beginning- if you thought that amazing season opening event was fun to watch, I recommend attending all of their games this season. This year they are being led by five fabulous coaches: Coach Piestch (head coach), Coach Hobson, Coach Yezbec, Coach Gadoy and Coach Obreu. These Mustangs have been training for their favorite time of year since March, and we can’t wait to watch all their hard work pay off this season. 

We are just getting started.

— Austin Wang (11)

After losing 7 seniors last season, this year could be seen as a rebuilding year after the amount of effort they put in during the spring off season. It was displayed during their summer league games that this team was not going to back down from any challenge. When asking players how they feel about the team goals, and the energy going into the season; junior Austin Wang (11) claimed “We are just getting started,” emphasizing the determination this team has, and the high level they strive to be at this season. 

This year the Yorba Linda Men’s Basketball Varsity team consists of 4 seniors, 7 juniors, and 2 sophomores. We can’t wait to watch seniors Connor Tsai (12), Dallin Fried (12), Orlando Laws (12), and Paul Campos Jr. (12) close out their high school careers with a bang. Don’t forget to look out for Austin Wang (11), Elyas Hassem (11), James (Jimmy) Makridis (10), Phillip Hawkins (11), and Zen Bhayani (10) making their varsity debut this season. 

The men’s team plays in Crestview League, consisting of 8 teams, which is then divided into 2 groups with 4 teams each. Our Mustangs are in a league with tough competition such as; Canyon, Foothill, and Villa Park. With all these tough matchups, they will need all the support they can get. 

So be sure to clear your calendars for Tuesday and Friday nights because it’s Game Day! Official league games don’t start until January 3rd, but they have many non-league and tournament games before then that you should check out. Tip off for all varsity games is at 7 pm, following the girls’ games: junior varsity (4:00) and then varsity (5:30) games. Come fill the stable with all your Mustang Spirit, and make sure to follow @ylhsmensbasketball on Instagram to stay up to date and be informed if game details change. 

Good luck to our Mustangs this 2023-2024 season; they’ve put in so many hours of hard work, but we know it’ll pay off in the end!