Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

The Benefits of Studying With Music

Getty Images
Music is a powerful tool to help with study sessions.

Music is a wonderful thing to have in life. There are countless artists and genres worldwide for people to listen to, and while we all have different preferences, we also have many different reasons for why we listen to Music. However, many of us listen to our favorite tunes during work-related activities, such as doing homework and preparing for exams. In fact, it has been scientifically proven that Music can help with studying.

According to Harvard Health, Music enhances studying productivity by activating various brain networks. This includes several memory regions, the Auditory cortex, and the Motor system. Also, not only are emotional parts of the brain activated, but they are also synchronized, which causes people to enjoy the Music more. 

Altogether, since Music activates almost all parts of the brain, it also helps keep brain regions strong, including parts that are linked to “well-being, learning, cognitive function, quality of life, and happiness” (health.harvard.edu). Therefore, when one does not listen to Music for a certain period of time, some pathways and networks are weakened. 

Despite what some people think, Music also improves focus while studying. A Stanford study found that “music engages the areas of the brain involved with paying attention, making predictions, and updating the event in memory” (fnu.edu). It preoccupies the unconscious focus system on something pleasing, allowing us to concentrate more on studying. Listening to classical Music, for instance, can significantly help with recalling mathematical principles; this is known as the Mozart Effect (vaughn.edu). Also agreeing that Music can help with focus, Gavin Esqueda (9) says, “Music, in my opinion, is one of the things that can drastically change my work ethic. If I find myself stuck in a bothersome environment, troubled by the noises and people around me, Music can eliminate those distractions and focus my mind on my work. It can also motivate during physical workouts or any other extraneous activities.”

Music serves as an outlet for me when I’m struggling or when I feel like there’s too much going on. I also like connecting with lyrics because it makes me feel understood and that there are people out there that think the way I do.  

— Emma Wang (9)

Most notably, listening to Music while studying significantly reduces anxiety and boosts our mood. Since Music increases feelings of pleasure, it reduces the levels of the stress hormone cortisol in the body. This can put us in a healthier learning mood since being happy and relaxed while studying makes it seem easier and more pleasurable. Emma Wang (9) also uses Music for emotional intentions as she explains, “Music serves as an outlet for me when I’m struggling or when I feel like there’s too much going on. I also like connecting with lyrics because it makes me feel understood and that there are people out there that think the way I do.”

While science does show that Music can benefit studying and working, it is still essential to keep in mind that everyone is different. Therefore, you should first try to play music while studying and see if it helps you or not. If it does, the next important step is to find the right style of Music that fits you.