The Sneaker Showdown

thecardswedrew.com
Converse and Vans are two of the most iconic shoes out there, but which one is better?

When it comes to sneakers, Converse and Vans make some of the best casual shoes in the market. Whether you are trying to style a pair of jeans or a hoodie, these two brands complement any outfit. The popularity of Converse and Vans also comes from their wide variety of shoes since they both make high-quality, low-top, and high-top sneakers along with comfortable slip-ons. It’s always good to have one pair of each on your shoe rack, but if you could only choose one, which is better?

Since its debut in 1908, Converse has been a famous American shoe company most well-known for its Chuck Taylor model (urbanindustry.co.uk). Simple but stylish, they mainly boast two designs: the high-top and low-top shoe. In terms of versatility, Converse surpasses Vans. Chucks allow for an effortlessly casual look for any simple outfit, while Vans have a more rugged and skater aesthetic that makes them harder to style. Also, when it comes to variety, no brand can beat Converse; they are available in almost any color and pattern, and they are constantly coming out with new designs.

While Converse does have its several advantages, there are certainly some faults to it. Due to their rough canvas, makeup can be challenging to clean, especially if the shoe is a lighter color. Additionally, Converse tends to have a snug fit, making long-term walking painful. Therefore, people with wider feet may not consider Converse the best option.

Vans is also an American manufacturer and is popular with skaters and surfers. It was founded in 1966, and although it debuted later than Converse, they are just as popular (vans.com). The two most favored styles of Vans are its signature Old Skool style and convenient slip-on. Due to its wider fit, some people may find Vans more comfortable than Converse. Vans also feature non-slip soles that help with maneuverability. However, they lack arch support and can wear out quicker.

I prefer Converse because Vans are heavy on the bottom, therefore it’s less versatile. Since Converse are lighter, you can use them for sports and other everyday activities.

— Samantha Hernandez (9)

So, is Converse better or Vans? There are many factors to look at to answer this question, as both brands have their trade-offs. In terms of versatility and durability, Converse is superior, but Vans surpasses Converse in aspects of maneuverability and user-convenience. However, it is also important to keep in mind that fashion is a personal matter, so it can also depend entirely on a person’s taste. Samantha Hernandez (9), who is an owner of both shoe brands, weighs in on the debate and explains that “I prefer Converse because Vans are heavy on the bottom, therefore it’s less versatile. Since Converse are lighter, you can use them for sports and other everyday activities.” Therefore, you should first reflect on your personal fashion style and then decide which brand is better for you.