The 4th Annual “I Have a Dream” Speech Contest

Finalists from the 2015 “I Have a Dream” speech contest.

Mustangs, the annual “I Have a Dream” speech contest is back again! Hosted by Yorba Linda High School’s Interact Club, led by advisor Rey Lejano, the final round of the contest will be held Thursday, June 2 at 6:30 PM in the Yorba Linda High School Forum.

If you are unaware of the speech contest, here’s a quick breakdown. Each year, students sign up so compete for a finalist position in the speech contest. In the preliminary rounds, students give a three to five minute speech on an idealist future they believe in, and how that future can be achieved. This year, social studies teachers, Noelle Toxqui, Matt Legrand, Charlene Dagampat, and Mark Honig, judged the preliminary rounds and decided on sixteen finalists to showcase Thursday night in front of judges from the Yorba Linda Sunrise Rotary Club.

Come be inspired by all the speakers and help out a great cause! This year, the money raised at the speech contest will be going towards refugee relief through the International Rescue Committee. Moreover, the finalists will be battling it out for scholarships worth $200, $150, and $100 — all donated by the Yorba Linda Sunrise Rotary Club. Overall, everyone present will be a winner, for there’s no greater accomplishment than being able to change someone’s point of view or spark change in the community.