Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

A Recap of the Oktoberfest

Derek Truong
The top of the Ferris wheel offered a fantastic view of the Oktoberfest.

As the leaves changed color and the crisp autumn breeze rolled in, Yorba Linda eagerly waited in excitement for the annual Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest took place on the last weekend of September, from Friday, September 29th, to Sunday, October 1st. It is arguably the largest and most popular event in Yorba Linda, as countless families and children of all ages attended the occasion; many Yorba Linda High School students also certainly had it on their to-do list.

This year, hosted by Saint Martin de Porres Catholic Church, marked the festival’s forty-third occurrence. The first festival dates back to the 1800s. According to the official Munich Oktoberfest website, on October 17th, 1810, festivities were made to celebrate the royal wedding between Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen and Prince Regent Ludwig of Bavaria (who later became King Louis I). The festival concluded five days later and featured a splendid horse race. Over the years, the celebration gained traction and became a classic, lucrative tradition in Germany.  

However, Oktoberfest has now become a worldwide event, attracting millions of visitors yearly. Typically, in the United States, Oktoberfest is hosted by churches to raise money for several charities. 

So, what was so fun and popular about Oktoberfest? First and foremost, it included many activities that appeal to people of any age. Its close vicinity to the high school also attracted large crowds of students. Gavin Esqueda (9), an annual attendee, said, “Oktoberfest is an incredible festival that gathers communities from miles away. From its thrilling rides to its delectable food, Oktoberfest is one of OC’s jewels.”

Oktoberfest is an incredible festival that gathers communities from miles away. From its thrilling rides to its truly delectable food, Oktoberfest is truly one of OC’s jewels.

— Gavin Esqueda (9)

When you first entered the park, you often noticed children running around with silly strings in their hair, the aroma of food from several different cuisines, and the flashing lights from the carnival rides. It also featured games, dancing, live music, and silent auctions. The most popular rides were the Starship, Zipper, Cliffhanger, and, of course, the iconic Ferris wheel.

A plethora of activity booths were also set up around the fairground, such as Bean Bag Toss, Plunkett, Football Thrower, Ring a Duck, and Glass Pitch, per SMDPYL Oktoberfest. Additionally, there was an extensive menu of tasty foods, where attendees chose between the rich flavor of the Mexican cuisine or to take their taste buds on a trip to the Philippines. Who didn’t want an order of the classic American hot dog as well?

Without a doubt, the Oktoberfest offered a fun, thrilling experience for everyone to enjoy and make life-long memories out of.