All Rise for the Judge (and La Máquina)

New York Yankee Aaron Judge’s momentous 62nd home run is immortalized in a digital graphic.

www.thinkphile.com

Anjeli Webb, Editor

This past month has been significant in baseball history. After St. Louis Cardinal Albert Pujols (also known as “The Machine”—”La Máquina”) made history when he passed Babe Ruth’s record for runs batted in (RBI) at 2,216, he became one of the four baseball players who hit more than 700 home-runs (including Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds). It is also Pujols’ last season of his 22-year long baseball career.

Cayden Eilers (10) and Tanner Eilers (10) at the Dodgers Stadium when Albert Pujols became the fourth player in Major League Baseball (MLB) history to reach the “700 home run milestone.” (Tanner Eilers)

Yorba Linda High School Students Cayden Eilers (10) and Tanner Eilers (10) were present at the Dodgers Stadium when Pujols became the fourth player in Major League Baseball (MLB) history to reach the “700 home run milestone.” Tanner says “I have been a long time Cardinals fan since I was born. Watching Pujols hit his 699th and 700th home run was an extremely emotional and amazing sight. It was cool watching it and cheering on this historic moment with my family that night.”

Pujols passed Babe Ruth and is now second to former Atlanta Braves’ Hank Aaron on the all-time RBI list as of October 4th.

Both homers from Judge and Pujols were cool moments that start to show the transition into a newer age of baseball in the MLB.

— Tanner Eilers (10)

The Honorable Aaron Judge Presiding

One specific addition to a historical string of coincidences occurred this past week in baseball. The New York Yankees were playing the Toronto Blue Jays in Toronto, Canada, at Rogers Center, when power-hitter Aaron Judge accomplished an extraordinary feat. On September 28th and October 5th, Judge hit his 61st and 62nd home runs of the season, surpassing former Yankee Roger Maris, (who had surpassed former Yankee Babe Ruth) to become the player with the most home runs in a season for the AL—62. The real mind blower is that Roger Maris established the record of 61 American League (AL) home runs in a season in 1961, which was just matched and passed—61 years later. 

Finding coincidences like those involved in this record is a global phenomenon that transcends time and cultures. (Searching for patterns and coincidences in historical events is a specific type of superstition, such as the eerie similarities between President John F. Kennedy and President Abraham Lincoln’s lives and untimely deaths.)

Roger Maris signing a baseball for President John F. Kennedy in 1962. (jfklibbrary.org)

The fact that the top three players that have held the AL record are all Yankees, simply states that the iconic MLB team is still doing something right (see how Aaron Judge trains)—however, it is undeniable that the numerology is stunning.

This historical event was even documented in this weekend’s episode of Saturday Night Live. New cast member Marcello Hernandez covered the event on Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update skit.

The author’s two Roger Maris baseball cards are displayed alongside the Wall Street Journal’s front page news article of Aaron Judge’s 62nd home run of the season. (Anjeli Webb)

Babe Ruth and Roger Maris must be resting peacefully knowing that baseball is still relevant and important in today’s society. The future is bright for America’s favorite pastime.