Comedy is a Sport at YLHS!

YLHS ComedySportz members are all dressed up and ready to joke at a Hurless Barton Park event.

Sierra Jones (12)

Anjeli Webb, Photojournalist

It is a well-known fact that humor heals, and that theme is expertly displayed at Yorba Linda High School’s comedy club, ComedySportz.

Theater director Mrs. Petz (S) is the advisor for ComedySportz (CSz)’s high school league at YLHS, which is part of a “global network of companies that transform the world using improvisation, through our unique ability to foster collaboration, inspiration, gratitude, and fun. These values enrich the lives of individuals, families, friends, and organizations alike.” Established at YLHS a year after the school opened in 2009, CSz is largely facilitated by seniors Max Greene (12) and Jake Napier (12)

YLHS Mustangs are encouraged to join to boost their confidence in speech and performing. Live on stage, one cannot sweat small mistakes, which enables students to let go and focus on their ultimate goal whether it be to deliver a compelling argument on a hot topic or getting the timing right on a joke for the ultimate audience response. Participating in CSz improves improvisational skills throughout work, school, and life in general, in addition to simply being an enjoyable pastime. Socializing is an absolute requirement, which can help Mustangs step out of their comfort zones and push themselves to be as conversationally adept as possible. As sophomore and two-year CSz comedian Kaitlyn Vogel (10) explains, “Anyone can join. If you have any interest, want to have fun, and meet good people, join!” The informal and lighthearted tone during practices showcases how being an active member consists of having fun and exhibiting one’s best effort.

There are about 14 members ranging from freshmen to seniors who are tight-knit friends outside of CSz. Most CSz students participate in YLHS’s theater program and enjoy spending time in other co-curriculars and extracurriculars like Video Productions and Vocal Ensemble. CSz comedians run through improvisational “games” at an extremely fast pace, and no time is wasted in the pursuit of making people laugh. Vogel says, “We play a couple improv games from 3-5 and talk about how to develop a scene.” When not honing their humorous entertainment skills, CSz members perform. According to Kaitlyn, “In a match, you get a suggestion from the audience, and just go with it from there.” They improve communication and humor skills by building off each other’s ideas, which mutualistically benefits the performers and audience alike.

In a match, you get a suggestion from the audience, and just go with it from there.

— Kaitlyn Vogel (10)

Members of CSz’s sentiments can be accurately summarized with this profession by Kaitlyn Vogel: “It makes me more confident, and it’s nice to be more confident.” Please consider checking out YLHS’s very own comedy performance troupe club ComedySportz!