Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Gathering Happiness: The Art of the Gratitude Section in a Student’s Life

Cynthia Lan
The first step to making life better is to accept yourself and always have positive thoughts.

In today’s fast-paced world, students often find themselves overwhelmed by the demands of their academic and personal lives. The constant pressure from their studies, juggling part-time jobs, and maintaining a social life can leave them feeling stressed. However, one part of life that is easily overlooked is gratitude. Students, or even anyone, can use it as a powerful tool for improving mental health and building stronger connections with others.

The gratitude section, as the name suggests, is a time for students to reflect on the things in their lives that they are grateful for. It can be as simple as taking some time each morning or before bed to express appreciation for the small things that happened in life that day. Just like Addison Iliff (10) at YLHS mentioned, “I am grateful to have so many teachers who are so enthusiastic about the subjects they teach, and I’m looking forward to having more teachers like that and having more classes like this next year! I look forward to gaining more knowledge.”

I am grateful to have so many teachers who are so enthusiastic about the subjects they teach…I look forward to gaining more knowledge.

— Addison Iliff (10)

A gratitude practice can take many forms, including keeping a gratitude journal, sharing thoughts with friends or family, or simply thinking about the thoughts in your heart silently.

One of the major benefits of a gratitude section is its ability to reduce stress and anxiety. Students often find themselves faced with all the assignments, exams, and deadlines. The pressure to be excellent can lead to high levels of stress and an ongoing state of anxiety. You cannot see the stress but it can take a toll on physical and mental health. By incorporating a gratitude component into their daily, or weekly routines, students can shift their focus from worries to the positive aspects of life. 

Additionally, the gratitude component can promote closer connections with others. Students may sometimes overlook the importance of relationships when striving for success. Expressing gratitude to friends, family, and even professors can strengthen those connections and create a more supportive environment. Many can take inspiration from Joonmoh Kim (10) who noticed the small things in life, saying, “I am grateful for the opportunity to play ice hockey with my teammates, hang out with my friends, and have fun. And I’m looking forward to getting better, practicing harder, and every aspect of life.” Recognizing the kindness and support of others can make students feel valued and appreciated.

Gratitude can also increase motivation and productivity. When students recognize and appreciate their accomplishments, no matter how small, it boosts their self-esteem and confidence. This positive attitude can motivate them to work harder, set higher goals, and pursue excellence in their academic endeavors. Gratitude is a powerful motivator that prompts students to reach their full potential.

Furthermore, the gratitude component can serve as a valuable tool for personal growth. By reflecting on what they are grateful for, students can better understand their values and priorities. This self-awareness can guide them in making more informed decisions about their education, career, and life. It helps them align their choices with what really matters to them, leading to a more meaningful and fulfilling journey as a student and beyond.

To conclude, gratitude is an important part of students’ daily lives and can have a significant impact on their happiness and success. It provides a way to reduce stress, strengthen relationships, increase motivation, and promote personal growth. This simple exercise can be effortlessly incorporated into students’ daily lives, and the benefits are well worth the time and effort. Students who make gratitude a part of their daily lives may find themselves better able to cope with the challenges of academia and enjoy a more balanced, fulfilling student experience. Therefore, students, take a moment every day to express your gratitude and watch your life become brighter and more fulfilling.