Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

LA28 and New Olympic Sports

Sports Business Daily
For the LA28 logo, the “A” in LA28 changes across various versions of the logo, showing the city’s diversity and allowing people to share their stories through design.

The Olympics are coming to Los Angeles! While it isn’t for another five years, there is still a lot to look forward to, new sports being one of the main topics for the 2024 and the 2028 Olympics.

The 2024 Olympics will be held in Paris from July 26 to August 11, 2024. So far, event ticketing has opened, and the Paralympic marathon and Para-cycling routes have been revealed (Paris 2024).

Returning after their debut in the Tokyo Games, surfing, climbing, and skateboarding will all be included in the French Games. With the addition of the new sport, breakdancing, to broaden the tournament’s appeal. While new events are being added, two others are dropping out of the Paris 2024 Olympic lineup. Baseball/softball was removed for thirteen years before its appearance in Tokyo. This sport was featured in the Tokyo Games due to the large number of Japanese baseball fans, but it is being taken out of the lineup for the Paris Olympics. Karate is the other sport being withdrawn from major international multi-sport events. This removal sparked debate, causing people to try to reverse the decision, but Karate won’t be returning to the roster of events (As).

Scheduled to take place from July 14 to July 30, 2028, LA28 will kick off with a dual opening ceremony at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles Times). Of the thirty-six sports featured in the 2028 Olympics, there are two brand-new sports and three returners. The three returning athletics include baseball/softball, lacrosse, and cricket. Baseball and softball are being put back into the lineup after its removal from the Paris Olympics. Flag football and squash are making their Olympic debut in the Olympic program. With the help of the NFL’s recent expansion of international games, flag football is being showcased at a major international sporting event for the first time. Squash is the fourth racket sport set to be in the 2028 Olympics, accompanied by tennis, badminton, and table tennis (NBC4).

I’m excited for the Olympics to come to Los Angeles in 2028. I think it would be amazing to watch an Olympic event in person. It’ll also be interesting to see which new sports they decided to add.

— Sanaya Patel (9)

Sanaya Patel (9) comments, “I’m excited for the Olympics to come to Los Angeles in 2028. I think it would be amazing to watch an Olympic event in person. It’ll also be interesting to see which new sports they decided to add.” There are many things to look forward to regarding the Olympics. With new sports and new locations, the Olympics are bringing excitement all over the world.

View Comments (1)