How to Bring Autumn Into Your Home

Balsam Hill
Fall decorations line this Thanksgiving table to bring a comforting atmosphere to the Thanksgiving feast

October is the spooky season. It contains cotton spider webs, plastic vampire fangs, costumes, and candy. 

A season of fun, fright, and haunting. However, after Halloween passes, people tend to look forward to winter, and Thanksgiving is often forgotten. While the holiday season is a time of joy and family that we should look forward to, we should appreciate the rest of the fall season while we still can. One way to fall in love with autumn is to decorate your space to embody the fall season’s cozy comfort. Here are some ideas to get your room ready for fall.

First, add soft and warm layers and textures to your room. As summer transitions into autumn, the air gets thinner and cooler. We tend to start wearing pants and hoodies instead of shorts and T-shirts. Adding soft blankets and other comforting objects to your space will make it a more comforting environment.

Next, know that lighting is everything. It depends on your preference, but soft and yellow lighting brings me the most comfort compared to harsher and whiter lights. Dimmed and softer hues make it cozy and accentuate those peaceful autumn nights. In addition, a candle can add a lot to the atmosphere. Fall is full of pumpkin spice, and everything is excellent. Cinnamon, pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, and sandalwood are popular fall scents. A smell can be nostalgic and will truly bring out the complete comfort that autumn envelopes us each year.

Another important detail is color. When we think of fall, most of us think of the orange, yellow, and red hues that the leaves change to. Tree branches change from refreshing shades of green in the summer to shades of orange, then become bare and repeat the same cycle as spring approaches. The trees are only this color for a short time, so we must stop and look around. Adding warm colors to your home will create a sense of peace in your space. Bringing the autumn colors into your room will get you into the fall spirit. 

These are only suggestions, but I suggest you consider some of these cozy recommendations for your room. Naomi Peralta (12) claims she “…likes to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, but still enjoys Thanksgiving.”

I like to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving

— Naomi Peralta (12)

So, if you choose to put your Christmas tree up on November first, I understand. Do whatever your heart desires and whatever will bring comfort to your family and your home. I wish you all a great holiday season Mustangs!