Steps to Having a Cost-Effective Thanksgiving

Simran Vaswani
Ashaan Sawhney (12) and the rest of his friends celebrating their new tradition of visiting a theme park on Thanksgiving.

“Black Friday,” the day after Thanksgiving, is notorious for its ridiculously low prices. But what about that Thursday, the day of Thanksgiving? Families gathered to celebrate America’s discovery over 400 years ago by planning elaborate feasts and spending time and gathering with family to discuss the joys of their lives.

Yet what many people don’t realize is that these elaborate feasts often cost more than expected. In 2020, the average host spent around 475 dollars on Thanksgiving dinner, including food, drinks, and decorations (Lending Tree). Yet, don’t worry; there are various ways to cut costs on Thanksgiving dinner by cutting out unnecessary items.

First, in food. America is one of the largest food wasters in the world, and Thanksgiving may be one of the days when we Americans waste the most. An easy way to save money (and our environment) is by not buying too much food. A way to do this is to buy smaller amounts of food instead of buying in bulk. Also, instead of buying a whole turkey, it may be beneficial to have a smaller gathering to purchase turkey pieces. Many butchers offer specific cuts of the turkey instead of the whole thing. Other foods, such as vegetables and desserts, are often wasted, and many people keep leftovers for a week and then throw them out when they go wrong. 

Another way to stop wasting food (and money) is by eating what your family enjoys on Thanksgiving. There is a lot of “pressure” to eat a perfect Turkey dinner on the third Thursday of November, and it is hard to break tradition. Some families enjoy the turkey, and some do not. Thanksgiving should be more about celebrating the people and things we are thankful for, not eating a Turkey. There are many stigmas surrounding the holiday tradition, but celebrating and spending time with family and loved ones is more important than what is eaten for dinner. 

“Every year, my family comes together with our friends and celebrates the week of Thanksgiving together as a whole event. Some of our friends flew down from San Francisco, and we all gathered and hung out. It’s not turkey dinners that make the holiday complete; it is spending time with loved ones.” explains Ashaan Sawhney (12)

It’s not turkey dinners that make the holiday complete; it is spending time with loved ones.

— Ashaan Sawhney (12)

Next, you can cut costs by not buying so many decorations and by reusing decorations from prior years. Many people often buy decorations yearly because they either lose or think they need more decor when, in actuality, they do not.

These simple steps are all different ways how to cut costs on “turkey” day. This year, I’m thankful that I will be saving money for dinner!