Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

What Is The Best Fall Scent?

Candles burning surrounded by fall colors, sparking this holiday season.
Astec Creations

As the weather gets cooler and the leaves turn a shade of burnt orange, the final indication that fall has arrived is the presence of those unique autumn scents. The aromas of fall come in all forms: the post-rain concrete, scented candles lit in the living, pumpkin spice lattes, and apples and warm vanilla from the kitchen. Saying that just one of these scents tops the list is subjective; however, I would argue that my opinion is correct in this case… I’m kidding. Seriously though, everyone is entitled to their views, but here is a list of my top 3 fall scents… and why they are the best. 

In third place, but certainly not least, I love the smell of those cinnamon-scented pine cones at Home Depot. Even though they are artificial, these pine cones are filled with so much depth and hints of spice. I love the power that they give off despite their presentation being as simple and somewhat misleading as that of a pine cone. 

Secondly, the smell of autumn leaves, white winter fir, or any pine-type scent fills me with the most joy. The crisp yet subtle warmth this scent gives off is truly unmatched. Within seconds of smelling such pleasure, I feel just as I do when I enter the mountains. The mountains are my favorite place to be, and I always feel my best there, so smelling that fresh pine lights me up inside. The only thing holding me from stating that this is my number one scent is that it is more of a winter than a fall scent. 

And the moment everyone has been waiting for my number one fall scent is apple cider. I’m not sure if it is the nostalgia that causes me to be so in love with this scent or if I genuinely appreciate the smell; either way, it is my ultimate favorite. Any time I smell apple cider, it transports me mentally to be at home in the kitchen. I spend many days in the kitchen during the holidays, so I suppose I subconsciously associate the smell with positive memories, enhancing my love for it. Furthermore, I admire the mixture of a fresh scent paired with the warm fall tones from the cider. 

My least favorite fall scent has to be any scent that I would describe as thick and heavy, like a warm vanilla-pumpkin sugar mixture. Funny enough, I asked if people had similar opinions as me, and Isabella Colin (12) stated, “My mom has this pumpkin spice, vanilla candle that smells delicious!”

My mom actually has this pumpkin spice, vanilla candle that smells delicious!

— Isabella Colin (12)

While I would love to back her on her opinions… I simply cannot. I will forever be a fan of the fresher smells, something about anything sugary and pumpkin-like is too “thick” for my liking. 

Nonetheless, everyone has the right to their own opinions; mine are just the only right answer in this case! In actuality, scents are such a key component of what makes a season so special, and it is important that you find your favorite to enhance your holidays!