A Warm Mustang Welcome

A Warm Mustang Welcome

Aroosa Malik, Photojournalist

Every year YLHS welcomes new teachers on our campus! Many have traveled from different states or from a different country. We are proud to announce Mrs. Estrada, Mr. Linebarger, Mrs. Toxqui,and Mr. Kemp as the new members that are now proudly representing our Mustang family.

Mrs. Estrada teaches our students a vital foreign language, Spanish. Her hobbies include soccer, computers, scouting, genealogy, and crafting. Before working at YLHS, she taught at Saddleback High School for a year. Mrs. Estrada said, ” I love it at YLHS! I want to get to know the students more and go to as many soccer games as I can!” Not only is her affection for sports strong, but Mrs. Estrada also loves learning and teaching. She feels honored to be a part of the Mustang Staff, and looks forward in helping students pave a way for a bright future in Spanish 1 and Spanish 2.

Another teacher new to our school is Mrs. Toxqui. Coming from Cal State Fullerton, Mrs. Toxqui found a passion for teaching History and American Studies. She has worked at Valencia High School, as an Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutor for three years. Last year, she taught at CHAMPS, Charter High School of the Arts, which is near Hollywood. At YLHS, she teaches World History and Government. One thing Mrs.Toxqui wants to do before she dies is to “ thank Alan Menken for creating the amazing Disney music from [her] childhood.” Mrs. Toxqui “looks forward to getting more involved on campus and coaching the awesome Mock Trial members.”

Mr. Linebarger has only lived in SoCal for about a year, being born and raised in Seattle.  Hailing from the North, Mr. Linebarger loves to rock climb, take road trips, and spend time with his wife.  His life goal is to take a backpacking trip in the Himalayas, including hiking to the Mt. Everest base camp. Before teaching at YLHS, Mr. Linebarger taught at Lewis and Clark High School in Spokane, Washington for a year. Over here on our campus,  he gives lessons in Earth Science and AP Physics.  One thing he wants to do at YLHS is to attend as many concerts as he can.

Last but not least, YLHS is very excited to have Mr. Kemp as one of our Assistant Principals. Mr. Kemp lives up to Aristotle’s quote: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” Some of his several hobbies include football, crossfit, boating, and wake surfing. Prior to becoming a Mustang, Mr. Kemp upheld the Aztec name for twenty years at Esperanza. One interesting fact about our new Assistant Principal is that he has coached many sports, including football for twenty years (four as head coach of EHS), track and field (fourteen years) , and wrestling (five years). Mr. Kemp is our Assistant Principal for Student Services. He encourages students to get involved in academics, arts, athletics, as well as many extra-curricular activities.

We are ecstatic to have such a diverse group of individuals representing YLHS this year. To our new staff members: welcome, we look forward to having you here at YLHS!