Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Is Candy Corn Overrated or Underrated?

pinterest.com
A bundle of candy corn ready to be eaten this Halloween season.

It’s that time of year when stores start to fill with bucket loads of candy and sweet treats. Skittles, Starbursts, Twix, Kit-Kat, Sour Patch Kids, you name it. But there is one particular candy that truly defines the Halloween season: candy corn. 

Although being one of the most popular pieces of Halloween candy, some may ask: what is candy corn? Candy corn is a small, triangular shaped sweet including three colors: white, orange, and yellow. Although the colors of the candy itself might switch its order depending on the company that is making it, those three colors embody the true fall aesthetic. Originally, there were only three ingredients used to make this candy: sugar, water, and corn syrup. In modern times, though, the candy flavor and base is made up of mainly honey, sugar, butter, and vanilla, which gives it its waxy texture. Creatively, its name originates from the resemblance of a piece of corn when stacked together. The candy is considered the staple fall candy, especially in North America. Being one of the oldest Halloween candies to exist, candy corn is either greatly liked or despised by countless candy lovers across the globe. 

While many people prefer modern candy, such as Snickers and Nerds Gummy Clusters, others sometimes prefer the classics. When asked whether candy corn was overrated or underrated for the Halloween season, junior Katya Thomason (11) stated, “I think it’s overrated because it tastes like pure sugar and it’s not very appealing to the eyes.” While countless individuals might agree with that statement, Jennalyn Urquico (11) disagrees by stating, “I think candy corn is underrated because it is such a good candy if you want something just plain and simple, but also delicious. This is especially true if you like frosting, as it’s a sweet treat that tastes just like it.”

I think candy corn is underrated because it is such a good candy if you want something just plain and simple, but also delicious.

— Jennalyn Urquico (11)

Clearly, both of these people are extremely passionate about this fall treat. However, some individuals might feel indifferent. When asked her opinion about the candy, Ishani Bhatt (10) stated, “It’s not my favorite, but if it’s offered to me I won’t mind taking a few.” As you can see, this tiny, sugary candy stirs extremely different emotions among individuals today. This candy may either be the first treat they look for in a store, or the one that they avoid at all costs. 

Whether you believe that candy corn is tasty or not, the Halloween season is the time of year that everyone looks forward to for not just the candy, but for spending time with loved ones as well.