High School Advice from Juniors to Freshman

Caydence Kuo (11)
YLHS football games can be a great way to get involved with the school! 

Everyone remembers what it’s like to be a freshman; it can be terrifying and intimidating. Being a freshman in high school is like being at the bottom of the totem pole all over again and going from being the big man on campus as an eighth grader to becoming the new freshman fresh out of middle school. As scary as this transition can be, there are people who have survived this and have the knowledge to give: juniors! Here is some advice from our juniors on campus that can help all freshmen feel ahead of the game.

1.  Branch out!!

Putting yourself out there may seem scary, but that is one of the best ways to get the most out of your high school experience. “Talk to new people, try new things, & branch out!” states Faith Alam (11). Trying new things and talking to new people could lead you closer to finding your people and your passion. Don’t be afraid of something new. 

2. Don’t stress and enjoy the moment

This may seem complicated to do at first because everyone wants to excel at school. However, junior Christie Kilaghbian (11) tells the Wrangler, “Enjoy every moment with your friends, and don’t stress too much about grades.” We may not indeed come to terms with the fact that high school goes by so fast! Remember that you are still a kid; you should go out and have fun. However, school should still be on your mind; balance your priorities with friends, family, and school.

3. Get involved!!

Getting involved is one of the best ways to feel a part of YLHS. “Always try to get involved at school, whether attending a football game or starting a club. It will make your high school experience a lot more fun!” Alisha Bhavsar (11). There are numerous ways to get involved on campus, such as joining a club that interests you or a sport. These can help you build bonds with peers that will last all of high school! Getting involved in school teams and clubs is a great way to feel more at home at Yorba Linda High School.

4. Respect your teachers

Teachers are the foundation of the school. Having good connections with your teachers can help you in the long run; as Shreya Shahs mentioned to the Wrangler, “Make sure to try and make friends with your teachers because they can help you succeed.” Start good relationships early, as they will help you understand concepts throughout the year and set you up for good college recommendation letters in the future!

As you can see, there are many ways for freshmen to feel more a part of the school and get ahead. If you are ever in doubt or have questions about high school, upperclassmen are the perfect people to ask advice from. 

“Talk to new people, try new things, & branch out!

— Faith Alam

. After all, they went through the same thing you did!

View Comments (13)