Community Service Opportunity: International Humanitarian Law at YLHS

assignmentpoint.com

assignmentpoint.com

Evelyn Chan, A&E Editor

So there’s probably two things that you’re thinking right now, either you know all about International Humanitarian Law so you’re a bit interested, or you have no idea what International Humanitarian Law is but you’re curious as to what it exactly is.

Well, for those of you who don’t know what International Humanitarian Law is, it is separated by Red Cross to six distinct key concepts: The Types of Armed Conflict, The Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocols, Fundamental Principles and Protections for Persons and Objects, Distinction Between Combatants and Civilians, Civilian Direct Participation in Hostilities, and Role of the Red Cross and Other Humanitarian Organizations in Armed Conflict.

Why is International Humanitarian Law so important? As nicely summarized by Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, Dean of the Academic Board, United States Military Academy at West Point, “It is essential to understand and respect the rule of law because that defines what we are about as a nation and the leader of the free world. When others do not respect or follow the law, it is even more important that we remember who we are and what we stand for as a country. The American Red Cross [Exploring Humanitarian Law] program helps young people understand not only what is legal, but also what is right.”

International Humanitarian Law is essential in the understanding that at some point during war, the conflicts will intersect with the rights and protections people have. By educating more people, we can stand up for what’s right and make sure that all is safe at home and abroad.

So, if you’re ready to step up and make your mark on the YLHS campus today, text “@ylhsihl” to 81010. After you’ve done that, you will receive details on the International Humanitarian Law training this Saturday from 8AM – 5PM, lunch will be served and you can earn up to 9 community service hours! Space is limited, so sign up as soon as possible.