Doing Good: Chick-Fil-A Leader Academy

Gavin Gondalwala, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Chick-Fil-A Leader Academy has burst on campus and is ready to take the rest of the year by storm. With the motto of “impact through action” ingrained into their core, this club is centered around service projects and improving leadership skills. Lled by Mrs. Shay they have already aided the community in the best way possible.

With “Do-Good-December” coming to a close, the Yorba Linda High School branch of this national organization has been featured on the Chick-Fil-A website and is up for awards due to the service project that they completed this month. After stuffing nearly 200 pillows and soliciting countless donations of stuffed animals, this brave group packed it all up, along with some holiday cheer, and visited Sunrise Senior Living in Yorba Linda.

Despite setbacks when it came to scheduling and visitation, this group persevered and was able to visit Seniors living in the Stage-I care and the Reminisce to truly deliver service to those who deserve it. When it came down to it, they were really just there to spread holiday cheer, sing carols, pass out pillows, and offer a warm hug.

Even though the leaders saw many residents throughout their day, some in particular stood out, such as a resident who received a Lambchop stuffed animal and wanted everyone to hug her. Madilyne Bent (10) recalls that her experience giving back was “so incredible sweet.”

On their way out of the facility, many students stopped to take a look at the event board and have already begun to make plans to return to Sunrise. Rather it be Bunko or The Price is Right, there are plenty of opportunities to play games, to hear stories, to set an example of servant leadership.

With servant leadership now in their minds, these students are looking for new ways to serve the people around their community and are ready to imagine fun, new ways to give back to the community. Thanks to all their hard work and dedication, members have ensured that positive changes are constantly rolling throughout the community and aim to make this, their first year, a successful one.

Looking towards the future, these students are expecting a surprise visit of unknown intentions from one of the men in charge of the Leader Academy, Kevin Scott of Garrett Graveson. Only knowing that visits of this caliber are extremely rare and do not happen often, the students are held in constant suspense as to what the reason may be. For now, however, all they can do is wait and hope for something good to come of all their hard work.