YLHS Student Profile

Gavin Gondalwala

Heather Gammon, Editor-in-Chief

Many students at YLHS strive to make an impact on their community, on their world. And The Wrangler would like to start sharing their stories. If you know someone whom you feel deserves recognition for their good deeds, academics, or extracurricular in and out of school, please sound off in the comments below!

We begin this special section with a Q & A session with The Wrangler‘s one and only Gavin Gondalwala(12).
What have you done to impact YLHS?

I took a big part in postering the quad as a member of ASB. God, it took so many hours. I also am in two publication electives– the newspaper and yearbook.
What activities are you involved in, both in and out of school?

Passport Club (LGBT Rights and Civil Liberties), Newspaper as C0-Editor, Yearbook Co-Editor, Congressional Debate Co-Captain, ASB Treasurer, Photography… The list goes on.

Who is your personal hero and why?

Tina Fey? She’s persevered her whole life and she’s had to move from Boston to Chicago to New York to meet her goals. Her dedication inspires me because she won’t stop for anything to get what she wants, but like she’s so nice about it.

What are your future ambitions?

Politics? Supreme Court? Journalist? Diplomat? Who knows, because I sure don’t.

What has most influenced you throughout high school?

Just being me and doin’ my thing. I’ve always been a hard head. Oh, and Harry Potter, I wouldn’t have had a childhood without it!!

As a senior, you’re headed to college soon. What are you most looking forward to in college? What will you miss most about YLHS?

I’m looking forward to all of the new experiences. I really want to go to a big city and see what it’s all about. Corny, but the small homey vibe is what i’m gonna miss most about YL.

What is your biggest fear?

Elevators honestly; something about being suspended with the possibility of crashing down scares me to death. Tell me they’re safer than cars all you want, I don’t care.

What are you most proud of?

Either placing in debate or the Yearbook. I can’t express how great it is to see a template you designed and worked hours on to finally be filled and put in the book. Hint hint, this year’s book is gonna blow you away

What has been your favorite class you’ve taken at YLHS?

Academic class is probably AP Lang just because it really helped me find my voice as a writer and I 100% still find myself using what I learned there. Shout out to Amber Ferris, my lovely Lang teacher!

What is your favorite quote?
“I will not set myself on fire to keep you warm.” People can try to cut me down and use me, but I’m over it. I’m all about empowerment because every now and then we all need to lift ourselves up