How to Survive: A Long Lecture

Rachel Seo, Features Editor

The Wrangler’s new How to Survive weekly series will provide a steady stream of helpful (and sometimes sarcastic) information that will get an average adolescent human being into the constant swing of life…just don’t jump off into the wood chips at the wrong time.

Ever sat in a class period that seems to go on forever? As a person who’s lived through many a dull class, I’ve gained a plethora of experience in learning how to pass the time. From planning your entire future to skydiving behind your teacher’s back, this list has it all.

1) PLAN OUT YOUR ENTIRE FUTURE!

What are you going to do when you grow up? Who do you want to be? Who are you now? What is it going to take to get where you want to be? If you’re going to be doing something during class time besides listen to your teacher, you might as well have an existential crisis. It’s a surefire way to let your mind wander and imagination flow!

2) HAVE A DANCE PARTY!

Hey, Adele’s song just came out! Taylor Swift’s album is still cool, right? Maybe you just need to shake things up a little! Never in his/her wildest dreams would your teacher imagine that you would start a dance party right smack-dab in the middle of class! Sure, you and your teacher might have bad blood after you interrupt class time, but sometimes teachers just need to shake it off.

3) BUILD A SHARK TANK!

Most people have always dreamed of swimming with sharks. However, one can’t simply go swimming with sharks if there are no sharks to be had! Why not invest some of your college fund or your hard-earned birthday money into a tank for sharks? It would, quite possibly, be a great commercial business investment. How many students can say that their school has a shark tank?

4) GO SKYDIVING!

Who says you need to skydive from ten thousand feet? Why not jump down from, like, three? If you want to mix up your teacher’s lesson plans, climb on top of the desk, play R. Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly,” take a leap of faith, and jump! (To improve the quality of the feat, bring a parachute.)

5) 100 HANDSTAND PUSHUPS ON TOP OF ONE’S DESK!

When asked what one crazy thing he would do if he was allowed to during a long lecture, Isaiah Seo (9) stated that he would do “one hundred handstand push-ups on top of [his] desk.” Physical exercise is a great way to motivate oneself, wake up the mind, and prevent American obesity.

It’s a bit crazy what kinds of things you can do with just a little bit of boredom and a whole lot of imagination. Now the only thing you need to do to survive the whole class is pass a couple of tests and two finals…