Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Why is Pink Important?

Emma Perron
On October 6, The Stable theme was Barbie, but the idea was to wear pink to show their support for Breast Cancer Awareness.

Pink is often considered a color, but it is so much more. Surprisingly, pink can have so many different meanings. Throughout the world, pink is used for literature, psychology, October, cultures, Valentine’s Day, girlhood, and so much more.

Starting, pink represents love, kindness, and femininity. On the other hand, in psychology, it is associated with connection, empathy, childhood, affection, innocence, and playfulness. 

During school, we are taught all colors have a meaning behind them and are symbols in readings. Color symbolism is used to have an idea represented by a color to express something in a deeper meaning. In these readings, we have to discover what the symbol color means to the piece of literature. In the book Little Women, Beth, one of the four sisters, wears pink and brown, which symbolize her girlhood and how she is more in touch with her feminine side than her other sisters. 

On February 14, the whole day is about love for each other. The colors representing this holiday are red and pink, which showcase love and kindness for your significant other. This is just one way that pink is essential to our lives.

Another instance where pink is important to our world is during October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness, where we wear pink to show our support. The foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness was started by Susan G. Komen in 1990, and she chose pink. Without a doubt, pink was the right color because she believed it meant feminine gender roles, but it represented the courage to fight and have hope for the future and that pink is calming and comforts all. The pink ribbon is an important symbol of Breast Cancer Awareness, and it has changed the idea of pink for all of us.

In addition to pink being a symbol, it also symbolizes girlhood. Senior Ryann Herman states, “Pink to me means happiness and signifies love. I love pink because who doesn’t love pink? It is a fun color to love and represents such an important aspect in life.”

Pink to me means happiness and signifies love. I love pink because who doesn’t love pink? It is a fun color to love and represents such an important aspect in life.

— Ryann Herman (12)

Pink has been such a girly color in life; most toys growing up were pink. For example, Barbie was always in pink, no matter the profession. Summer 2023 was when the Barbie movie was released, and pink made a huge comeback. The film was about girlhood and being enough in what you did but not needing a man. The pink in this movie shows how pink allows us to connect with our feminine side and that it is our affection and love for everyone. 

No matter the shade of pink, it allows us to express ourselves, and it can represent anything you want it to be in your life. Whether it be love, innocence, connection, or even girlhood, pink is all over our world and is meaningful to all in different ways. As silly as the idea of pink being important is, it encompasses a lot of our lives and allows us to be in touch with others and ourselves in any way we want it to. 

View Comments (8)