Why Disposable Cameras are Making a Comeback in the Modern World

Christie Kilaghbian
Five friends partying it up at a sweet sixteen, caught on a disposable camera.

Technology is advancing by the second, whether it is the new iPhone with four different camera lenses, or video cameras with 8K resolution. For some reason though, we all stem back to physical photos taken on disposable cameras. With Gen Z being the last generation with photo albums filled with countless memories, we see today how our parents reminisce about the “good ole days” at family parties and weddings, and we long for a similar feeling by taking pictures with the same camera, feeling, and aesthetic. Winding up the film, waiting for the flash to warm up, counting down to make sure everyone is ready to capture the moment – it’s all a part of the fun experience.

Although we could easily snap a digital picture with our iPhones, having the physical photos and placing them into large photo albums gives it a more personal feel. Being able to stick the glossy, vintage looking photos on your bedroom wall provides a more personal touch to a room that is already a one’s sanctuary. 

A fellow disposable camera user, Kailey Dinh (11), states, “I think disposable cameras are popular amongst teens nowadays mainly because of two reasons. First, the quality of the photos. Although you can put filters on your normal photos captured on your phone, to most people it doesn’t feel the same. Secondly, I think that we just enjoy snapping the photo and then looking back at it later. As opposed to phones, where most people constantly check what they look like, disposable cameras capture the real and raw moment. Additionally, waiting and receiving your disposable photos back is half the fun because you can relive the memories from when you took the photos.”

I think that we just enjoy snapping the photo and then looking back at it later. As opposed to phones, where most people constantly check what they look like, disposable cameras capture the real and raw moment.

— Kailey Dinh (11)

Not only do teenagers use these cameras for the fun aesthetic, some couples also use these cameras on their wedding day as a guest activity. This allows the guests to capture the wedding from their view which makes the photos personal for the newly wed couple. By the time the photos are developed, it can be mailed to the guests as a “thank you” card, which makes the overall experience more intimate.

However, the cost of the cameras themselves and the price to process the film can get a bit expensive. Luckily, a new app called “Lapse” has created a similar aesthetic to disposable photos – minus the price. It gives your photos a vintage look, while also creating a social space  to see your friend’s photos.

In the end, whether the moment was captured on a phone or on a disposable camera, photographs can bring people together during joyous moments, or bring back important memories to reminisce on for years to come.

View Comments (4)