May the Luck of the Irish Be With You

Nathan Shube, A & E Editor

In many ways, March represents the doldrums of the school year. Lumbering through a good chunk of February and all of March, those desperately looking for a day off school finally arrive at Spring Break (unless that happens to fall in March, leaving battle-wearing students to struggle through April without a break). March has always been associated with madness (and that’s not just because of basketball). The joys of spring-time standardized testing loom menacingly ahead, AP students begin to feel the real burden of the task they have set before themselves, sophomores worry about passing the California High School Exit Exam, and juniors have to take off their training wheels and move from PSAT’s to SAT’s, and seniors receive an onslaught of news from colleges (the real deal). What is there to look forward to in March? Some would suggest the Ides of March, but unless you are a Shakespeare geek like Mr. Domene, celebrating the assassination of Julius Caesar probably doesn’t tickle your fancy. The answer is imminently clear: look to March 17, St. Patrick’s Day.

You don’t have to have Irish heritage to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day. Many people use the Irish national holiday as an excuse to become “Irish for the Day.” Just wear a green shirt, pick up a shamrock shake, find a four leaf clover, and work on that accent. You’re golden!  March is pretty slim on the holiday front, so even McDonald’s got into the act, introducing the Shamrock Shake in the 1970’s. Parades can be seen all over the world with one of the largest taking place in New York City, a tradition that began over 200 years ago. 

For those looking to go a bit deeper into the holiday, ask this question: What is St. Patrick’s Day actually celebrating? The day actually marks the arrival of Saint Patrick and Christianity in Ireland, but has evolved into a world-wide celebration of Irish culture. March 17th is the day St. Patrick died, and thus the day chosen to celebrate his life. The Irish are known for celebrating with their fierce drinking habits, green get-ups, and, of course, feasts: traditionally corned beef and cabbage. YLHS’s very own Mr. Shanahan (the Buddy the Elf of the Leprechaun world) wanted to address our students of Irish decent and all of those who honored this long time holiday. “As a proud descendant of Irish immigrants, I would love to give a wonderful St Patrick’s Day toast in Gaelic, the native language of Ireland, but unfortunately Gaelic is a silly language that doesn’t make any sense, so I will have to settle for ‘cheers’.”