Women’s Soccer Season Ends with Heartbreaking PK’s

(Photo Courtesy of mmsportsphotos.com)

(Photo Courtesy of mmsportsphotos.com)

Nicole Truong, Co-Sports Editor

This past Thursday, YLHS Women’s Soccer travelled two hours to remote Lancaster to face number 2 seed Quartz Hill in the CIF SS Division 3 quarterfinals. The Mustangs fought hard and played with passion and skill, but the game still extended into two overtimes, with the final score remaining at 0-0. The game headed into penalty kicks, with freshman goal keeper Emma Deane replacing senior Allie Jara to face off against the Quartz Hill’s players. The Mustangs converted 5 penalty kicks, but lost in heartbreaking fashion as the Quartz Hill Rebels were able to convert 6 penalty kicks to win and advance to the semifinals.

The Mustangs reached the CIF quarterfinals for the third time in the past three years. This is quite an accomplishment, as YLHS Women’s Soccer was moved up to the North Hills League and Division 3 in the CIF Southern Section, as compared to the previous Empire League competition and Division 5 seeding. To reach the quarterfinals, the Mustangs defeated cross-conference rivals the Valencia Tigers 2-0 in the first round. The Mustangs then travelled to Chino Hills to face Ayala, the Palomares League Champions, in the second round. YLHS once again won, 2-1, to advance to the quarterfinals.

Although the Mustangs are now out of CIF, after their quarterfinal loss, this season has been far from disappointing, as the YLHS Mustangs accomplished several goals, no pun intended, and had numerous memorable moments. The highlight of the season for many players was the win against rivals Esperanza. The Mustangs vs. Aztecs soccer game was a much anticipated game, and the Mustangs won with a second overtime goal by Junior captain Jacquelyn Dunlap. However, this was not the only highlight of the season for the YLHS Women’s Soccer program.

The Mustangs finished first in the Century Conference and earned the title of North Hills League Champions with a record of 6-1-0, beating rivals El Dorado to gain sole ownership of the number one seed. Junior captain and forward Jacque Dunlap earned the honors of League Offensive MVP, while Senior captain and center back/central defender Devon Morones earned the title of League Defensive MVP for the second consecutive year. Junior captain and center midfielder Halle Walls, junior left defender/outside back Taylor Asciak, senior goalkeeper Allie Jara, and senior center midfielder Dana Jacobs were all named to the 1st Team All League. Senior forward Brie Evans, junior center midfielder Georgia Lodge, and senior center back/central defender Kira Weaver were also all named to the 2nd Team All League.

Many players of the women’s soccer team also committed to several colleges. Devon Morones committed to Chico State University, Jacquelyn Dunlap has been verbally committed to University of California Davis since last year, junior center midfielder Dana Jacobs committed to San Francisco State University, and senior goalkeeper Allie Jara committed to Cal State University San Marcos.

The YLHS Women’s Soccer team has made the Mustangs proud with how well they have represented our school this past season. With the league title and advancement to the quarterfinals, the Mustangs have set high standards once again for next year. Junior captain and center midfielder Halle Walls proudly stated, “We accomplished so much and came so far this season that I don’t think we could’ve asked for much more. Everyone on this team is like family and we’re definitely going to miss the seniors next year, but we look forward to defending our league title next season.” With 10 seniors graduating, the Mustangs have a challenge up ahead to retain their league title and to hopefully once again qualify for CIF playoffs. With the determination and hard work always present on the soccer field, the Mustangs will indubitably continue to improve and represent YLHS well.