Yorba Linda High School Varsity Baseball’s Season

The Yorba Linda Varsity Baseball team in a huddle before the game starts against Aliso Niguel

Yorba Linda Baseball

Emma Perron, Editor

Yorba Linda High School’s baseball program had an outstanding season all around. Our own YL Men’s Varsity won the league for the first time and went to the semi-finals in CIF. The freshman won second place in the league with a record of 5-1 and an overall record of 7-1-1. Moving onto our JV team, they won league with a 6-3 overall of 11-11.

The Mustangs started a bit rocky and kept switching between winning and losing. After a good amount of hard work and dedication in games and practices, the Mustangs finally got a rhythm of playing well and started their winning streak. In league, they had an overall score of 6-3. On April 25, 2023, the Mustangs faced Brea Olinda and won the game, clinching their first league win for Yorba Linda High School. Mason Smith (12) pitched the game against Brea Olinda and stated, “my favorite memory of the season was getting the final out vs Brea to win the league and then dog piling with the team after.”

My favorite memory of the season was getting the final out vs Brea to win the league and then dog piling with the team after.

— Mason Smith

About a week later, on May 3, 2023, the varsity team hosted round one of CIF against Centennial (#1 seed), and the Mustangs won 6-2. With pitching outstanding from JJ Conrad (12) and hits from Caden Maloof (11) and Jacob Talbott (11) with a dinger, the Mustangs moved onto round 2 of CIF.

Yorba Linda High School Varsity team is dominating and continuing to make our school proud; yet again, they hosted round 3 of CIF at home. Round 2 of CIF was held again on home turf. On May 9, 2023, the Mustangs took on Edison. With the students cheering loud and the players dominating, they won again with a score of 4-2. Another great pitching game by JJ Conrad went seven innings, with only two runs on six hits and a home run by Jayden Flaig (12).

On Friday, May 12, 2023, the Mustangs took on Long Beach Poly. In this game, Aiden Alvarez (11) pitched 5 ⅓ innings and only allowed three hits and one run. Mason Smith came in for 1 ⅓ innings, came in clutch, and had the last five outs. Also in the game, Raymond Kim (12), Jackson Magni (12), and Jacob Talbott (11) all had hits to lead the Mustangs to home. At the end of the game, the Mustangs just snuck by with a win of 2-1, advancing them to Semi-Finals.

The Mustangs traveled to Aliso Niguel to play the semi-final game on May 16, 2023. With a close game all the way, Aliso Niguel won on a walk-off. JJ Conrad pitched again for the last time.

The Mustangs had a very successful season and made Yorba Linda High School proud, with winning the league for the first time in school history and making it to the semi-finals. Mason Smith (12) adds, “Winning the league meant a lot to us as a team because this is the first time in YL history that baseball has won the league.” All of the Yorba Linda Baseball program’s hard work does not go unnoticed, and it pays off in the end. Congratulations, Yorba Linda High School Varsity Baseball, for a memorable season.