Dorm Room Essentials

Students going off to college in the future may struggle to determine what they need to bring to their future dorms, so here is a list of essentials to help students narrow down their packing list.

Courtesy of Insider

Fiona Salisbury, Photojournalist

Next year will be full of many new and exciting changes for the seniors of Yorba Linda High School. One such change for many students in the graduating class will be living in dorms after they move to college. According to Piper Guyton (12) “It is important to know what to pack in advance because we have to maximize our limited space.” With such a drastic change to daily life, many seniors may be struggling to pack and prepare for their new lives, and other underclassmen may be curious about what their future living conditions might be like; because of this, here is some advice on some dorm room essentials!

It is important to know what to pack in advance because we have to maximize our limited space.

— Piper Guyton (12)

The Basics

No matter what your dorm situation is, there are some items that are a must buy. Some of the most simple items include bed sheets and pillows, a shower caddy and shower shoes for those living in communal bathrooms, toiletries, various forms of storage to maximize the limited amount of space, clothes that are well-suited for the school’s climate, laundry essentials, a backpack and other basic school supplies, and chargers and power strips.

Easily Forgotten, But Important!

Sometimes the most important items are the ones that do not come to your mind right away, so here are some essentials that could be easily forgotten. Some easily forgotten essentials include but are not limited to cleaning supplies to keep your shared space presentable, medicine to help you combat a case of frat flu, extension cables to make the most of limited power outlets, a reusable water bottle, a first aid kit, formal/business attire for interviews, and safety essentials such as pepper spray if you are living in an unsafe environment.

Helpful, But Not Necessary

Most dorms have very limited amounts of space, so people have to be selective about what items they bring; because of this, many items that merely improve one’s quality of life may not be considered absolutely essential, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important. One item students can bring is a mattress topper since many college students complain about uncomfortable mattresses. Many dorms come without mirrors, so for many students, bringing their own mirror is important. For late night studying, students may want to consider bringing a desk lap. If living situations where finding good drinking water is difficult, having a water filter/boiler can make life easier. Decorations are optional, but many students find that they make dorm spaces feel more like a home.

For all the students who plan to dorm next year or in the future, each person will find that their own essentials vary slightly from others since each student has their own preferences. With plenty of additional information online and through living out the actual dorm life, students can find what necessities they find most important.