Seek a Job This Summer!

Courtesy of Magicpin

One fun idea for a summer job is to work at an ice cream shop.

Tiana Salisbury, Editor

As this school year comes to a close, students are left with more free time, which can be spent resting after a strenuous school year or discovering a new hobby. If you are 16 years or older, you consider applying for your first job. What is there not to enjoy about gaining valuable work experience while earning some cash? Here are a few fun summer jobs and some local companies that are hiring!

Ice Cream Shop Attendant

When you think of summer, one of the first things might be ice cream! Working at an ice cream shop is perfect for anyone who loves this delicious summer treat and wants to put smiles on customers’ faces. A few responsibilities may include scooping ice cream, serving customers, and maintaining the cleanliness of the shop. You may even get free ice cream or employee discounts depending on the company!

Some businesses that are hiring: Blue Scoop Creamery, Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream, and Bruster’s Ice Cream

Life Guard

Being a lifeguard seems like a fun job for people who are proficient swimmers!

— Analise Hopper (12)

If you enjoy swimming and spending time by the pool, you might be interested in working as a lifeguard. Analise Hopper (12) agrees and says, “Being a lifeguard seems like a fun job for people who are proficient swimmers!” Lifeguards may work at local pools, waterparks, or the beach. Since it is a lifeguard’s primary responsibility to ensure safety, they are usually required to have CPR and First Aid certifications to assist in medical emergencies. Some companies may even require job candidates to have a lifeguard certification, but others provide this training once hired. 

Some businesses that are hiring: Premier Aquatics, the City of Laguna Beach, and the City of Huntington Beach

Pet Sitter

Over summer break, many people go on vacations that cause them to leave their pets at home. Instead of sending their pets for boarding at an overpriced pet hotel, some pet owners may choose to hire a pet sitter. If you are an animal lover, being a pet sitter may be a dream come true! Working as a pet sitter is a self-managed job, so you are not working for a company but are instead working for clients. Because of this, it may be harder to get business since people mostly learn about your services by word of mouth. To help pet sitters out, Rover – a website that allows pet sitters to connect with pet owners – lets pet sitters indicate their availability and view requests made by pet owners. Rover can also be used for people interested in dog walking services!

Camp Counselor

Students looking for leadership experience may be interested in working as a camp counselor this summer. Working at a summer camp allows you to build your communication and problem-solving skills while interacting with various age groups. Not only is working at a summer camp incredibly fun, but it is also a way to positively impact your community.

Some businesses that are hiring: Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of Orange County (18 years or older), and KE Camps

If you are interested in working over the summer, start applying early to demonstrate your interest and complete any training needed before starting the job. Good luck!