The “Ok Ok Ok Ok” vs “La La La La La La” stereotypes and how they affect society

See you again, the song with the “Ok Ok Ok” and “La la la” in it.

Simran Vaswani, PhotoJournalist

The famous song “See You Again” by Tyler, The Creator and Kali Uchis has been drawing attention for the end of the song where Tyler sings “Ok ok ok ok” and Kali sings “La la la la la la”. People on social media started classifying people based on their personality if they are an “Ok ok ok ok” or a “La la la la la la” person. Typically, someone who is more reserved and introverted would be stereotyped as a “Ok ok ok ok” and a more extroverted person would be a “La la la la la la”. Some people even have started classifying celebrities, saying that a certain celebrity is an “Ok ok ok ok” or a “La la la la la la”. There are even online quizzes to figure which you are! (see below)
(https://uquiz.com/quiz/uDQq9U/are-you-okokok-or-lalala)

Yet, some people are not in either category. This trend as a whole promotes stereotypes in our society, especially because some students feel obligated to be one or the other. Other students are a blend of the two, which could make them feel excluded or abnormal because they do not fit into either category. Lili Sebestyen (10) says that “Recently, all my friends have been telling me that I am a “La la la la la la” with any person I am hanging out with. Personally, I think I am more of an “Ok ok ok ok” type of person, but why can’t I just be both?” 

Honestly, I think that having two energetic and extroverted friends is not a bad thing, it adds excitement and this trend is promoting these stereotypes of an ideal friendship.

— Sophia Jones

Sophia Jones (9) and her friend Erin Ha (9) are both “La la la la la”s. “Honestly, I think that having two energetic and extroverted friends is not a bad thing, it adds excitement and this trend is promoting these stereotypes of an ideal friendship,” says Sophia Jones (9)

Many people think that you need both an introverted and extroverted person to have an ideal friendship, but Jones and Ha are examples of how there can be two extroverted people and still have a great friendship.

These stereotypes are capable of affecting someone mentally. For example, if a new student looks like a “Ok ok ok ok” type of person, they are going to be perceived as a shy person. That student might be shy at the spur of the moment, but a “La la la la la la” person when you get to know them. This could affect their personality for the rest of the year, and people might assume that they are more introverted than extroverted.  This trend may seem harmless, but in actuality it promotes unrealistic stereotypes on a perfect friendship.