How to Get an Internship and Other Extra-Curricular Opportunities this Summer

Look into a new opportunity this summer, the potential it gives you is unmatchable!

Imaan Moten, Photojournalist

Summer is just around the corner, and many high school students are beginning to think about how to make the most of their time off. For many students, this means finding an internship or other extracurricular opportunity to gain experience and explore potential career paths. However, with so many options available, it can be difficult to know where to start. This article will explore tips for how to get an internship and other extracurricular opportunities this summer. 

One of the most important things you can do is to start your search early. Many companies and organizations begin accepting applications months in advance, so be sure to start your search as soon as possible. You can also discuss it with our school’s career center and guidance counselors to see if they have any resources or connections to help you find opportunities.

I also recommend doing some of your own personal research. The Internet is a valuable tool for finding internships and other extracurricular opportunities. Websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn are great places to start your search. You can also check with specific companies or organizations that interest you to see if they have any internship programs available. Networking is another important aspect of finding an internship. Talk to your teachers, counselors, and parents to see if they know of any opportunities. You can also attend job fairs or industry events to meet people and learn about potential opportunities.

I actually do have an opportunity lined up for this summer, I achieved it by reaching out to my doctor and asking if I could shadow him during the summer.

— Hannah Jebelli (11)

Once you have identified potential opportunities, it’s time to prepare your application materials. Your resume and cover letter should highlight your skills and experience, as well as your enthusiasm for the opportunity. Be sure to proofread your materials and ask someone else to review them before submitting them. Finally, it’s important to be persistent in your search. Don’t be discouraged if you aren’t accepted into your first choice. Keep applying to other opportunities and use your feedback to improve your application materials.

Finding an internship or other extracurricular opportunity can be a great way to gain experience and explore potential career paths. A YLHS student Hannah Jebelli (11)  commented “I actually do have an opportunity lined up for this summer, I achieved it by reaching out to my doctor and asking if I could shadow him during the summer.” By starting your search early, using online resources, networking, preparing your application materials, and being persistent, you can increase your chances of finding the perfect opportunity for you. Good luck!