YLHS Student Sora Choi Commits to UChicago For Lacrosse

Sora Choi

After dedicating several years to playing lacrosse, Sora Choi (11) proudly poses for her commitment post to UChicago.

Anvi Bhagavatula, Photojournalist

YLHS student Sora Choi, a junior, just recently committed to the University of Chicago for lacrosse. In her previous 3 years of high school, she attended Mater Dei High School, where she also played lacrosse. She transferred this year because she wanted to play lacrosse in a different environment. Since she began her high school career in lacrosse, Sora has been interacting with college.  

Her start with lacrosse began because her mom had played at Johns Hopkins–a D1 lacrosse school–when she was younger. By coincidence, when she was in fourth grade, her neighbor started a recreational league. Sora took this opportunity and started her journey with lacrosse. “Since then,” she says, “I have made so many amazing friendships and connections that I’m so grateful for. It’s amazing getting to push myself and create goals while also getting to be competitive and creative.”

“I have made so many amazing friendships and connections that I’m so grateful for. It’s amazing getting to push myself and create goals while also getting to be competitive and creative.”

— Sora Choi

Sora also enjoys other hobbies such as drawing and painting. Before attending Mater Dei, she went to OCSA for their arts program. “Art is still a really big part of my life.” Sora explains, “I’m planning to fulfill my art requirement by doing AP Art next year.”

Along with playing with the Yorba Linda Women’s Lacrosse team, Sora plays for the club team “Lacrosse Monkey,” which is based in Minnesota. The team holds many connections to NCAA D1 camps, recruiting programs, and college coach counselling. It is connected with the IWLCA, which is the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association.

Upon being contacted by dozens of schools from Dartmouth to MIT to UMASS Lowell, and many more, Sora chose the University of Chicago because she believes “it has the perfect balance between athletics and academics.” 

Sora is a midfielder on the Yorba Linda Women’s Lacrosse team. Her job as a midfielder entails both defense and attack work and causes her to be on her feet the entire game. In the women’s lacrosse team game against Woodbridge High School, Sora scored 4 points and assisted even more. 

Her advice to aspiring collegiate athletes is to embrace the adversity and come about every opportunity with gratitude. Bad games and practices are all learning opportunities that help you develop your mental and physical game.