What is High School Athlete Burnout?

Tiana

During times of burnout, taking a break from sports can help relieve stress.

Tiana Salisbury, Editor

Burnout is a typical emotion that students experience at one point in their high school careers. As lethargy and fatigue overcome students, they lose their motivation to continue putting maximum effort into the things they do. Though burnout is mostly seen in academics, it is also observed in high school sports.

When choosing a sport to play in high school, most students pick one that they have been participating in for years prior to entering high school. After school team practices and games commerce, students may start to realize the repetitive nature of their sport, causing them to lose interest. After spending years training, it is easy to lose track of how long you have spent playing a sport; however, once joining a team in high school, the commitment to play your sport for four more years can be overwhelming. Oftentimes students who have been involved in certain sports for the majority of their life eagerly look forward to when they can finally take a break from seemingly endless training and practices. 

Furthermore, students may find that the competitive nature of high school sports is overwhelming and drains the fun out of the games. The majority of high school sports programs are intent on winning league titles or championship games, leading to increased pressure to improve athletic performance. Moreover, coaches may increase the rigor of practices to effectively train the team for success. Because of this, students may start to view their sport to be less fun and more stressful. This could negatively affect students’ mental health, resulting in them losing interest in their sports.

After my golf season ended in the fall, I took a break but started playing with my friends shortly afterward. Playing in a stress-free environment made the game much more enjoyable.

— Analise Hopper (12)

Despite the consequences of burnout in sports, students can still seek enjoyment by simply taking a break. This is not to say that you should quit your sport altogether, but you should take some time to find other activities that bring you joy. For instance, you could try participating in a school club that interests you, or you could spend more time with people who make you happier. You could even try playing your sport again with a few friends in an attempt to restore the fun in the game. Analise Hopper (12) shares, “After my golf season ended in the fall, I took a break but started playing with my friends shortly afterward. Playing in a stress-free environment made the game much more enjoyable.” Sports should be fun for everyone, so students should strive to find ways to make playing more entertaining.