YLHS Blood Drive Recap

Many students at YLHS took time out of their day to donate blood.

Khushi Patel (11)

Fiona Salisbury, Photojournalist

On February 3, 2022, students at Yorba Linda High School, along with other members of the community, had the opportunity to donate blood at an on-campus blood drive organized by the YLHS Red Cross Club. Many students at Yorba Linda High School signed up weeks in advance with the opportunity to save up to three lives each.

This blood drive was hosted during the worst blood shortage in decades according to the Red Cross. Across the nations, hospitals are having to cancel surgeries due to the shortage in blood. At Yorba Linda High School, fifty-six students were able to donate blood, meaning that their combined donations have the potential to save up to one hundred sixty eight lives. This was an incredible turnout, and this donation amount exceeded the goal that was set for the blood drive.

Since the length of the blood drive was limited by the length of school, there were unfortunately many students who were unable to donate blood because of this lack of time, the fact that there were many more students who were willing to take time out of their day to save someone’s life shows that the students at Yorba Linda High School are eager to take opportunities to help other people.

Even though donating blood was uncomfortable at first, knowing that I was saving lives made the entire process very rewarding.

— Megan Chou (11)

Although the process of donating blood may seem uncomfortable, or even scary, Megan Chou (11) said that, “even though donating blood was uncomfortable at first, knowing that [she] was saving lives made the entire process very rewarding.” While many students may be deterred out of fear of getting their blood drawn, the discomfort is well worth it because of the impact that it has.

For people who were not able to donate because there was not enough time, were not able to sign up, and still want to donate blood, there are other local opportunities to give the gift of blood. People can make appointments for any day at the Fullerton blood donation center, and if they want a more local option, the Yorba Linda community blood drives are also available. For students who may not have met the age, weight, or other requirements for donating blood at this time, there will be more opportunities in the future where they can try to donate.

In conclusion, the Yorba Linda High School blood drive was highly successful, and it will help alleviate the national blood shortage. Thanks to the students, staff, volunteers, and other community members, up to one hundred and sixty eight lives will be saved.