What Are the Best College Majors

Students should consider many factors when deciding their college major.

Courtesy of the Steve Pomeranz Show

Fiona Salisbury, Photojournalist

With so many college majors to choose from, some students may find themselves struggling to decide what they should major in. It can be a daunting task, especially since many students are unsure of what they want to study. Because deciding what to major in is very important, students should consider many different factors when determining what major would be the best choice for them.

One factor that many students may consider when choosing their major is salary. According to U.S. News, the college majors with the top ten starting salaries are chemical engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace and aeronautical engineering, materials engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, physics, and applied mathematics. If students prioritize their potential salary when deciding what to major in, these ten majors should be considered.

Not only is salary important in determining a potential major, but it is also important that a major has a low unemployment rate to make sure that students are likely to receive a job after college. According to USA Today, the ten college majors with the lowest rates of unemployment are engineering and industrial management, miscellaneous agriculture, teacher education: multiple levels, clinical psychology, genetics, communication disorders sciences and services, physical sciences, geosciences, agricultural economics, and atmospheric sciences and meteorology. If students want to make sure that they get a job after getting a degree, these ten majors are excellent choices.

Jobs that may be in high demand in the present may not be the same way in the future, so it is important that students also look into job growth when choosing their majors. According to My Degree Guide, the top ten majors with the highest growth in the future are information technology, electronics engineering, economics, chemistry, computer science, physics, software engineering, nuclear engineering, cybersecurity, and petroleum engineering. For students who want to make sure that there will be career opportunities in their major in the future, these ten majors are potential options for them.

When deciding majors, students may overlook the importance of being happy by doing meaningful work. According to Insider, the top ten majors that lead to satisfying careers are public health, biblical studies, dietetics, child and family studies, social work, athletic training, biomedical engineering, medical technology, special education, and nursing. For people who want to place an emphasis on doing meaningful work, these ten majors can lead to careers that make a positive difference in the world.

There are so many factors to consider when trying to decide college majors, so it is important to consider as many factors as possible.

— Megan Chou (11)

According to Megan Chou (11) “There are so many factors to consider when trying to decide college majors, so it is important to consider as many factors as possible.” Students have so many options when considering majors, so by considering these factors, other possible factors, and as well as a student’s own interests, students will be able to make informed decisions on what they want to major in.