The Difficulty of Being a Student Athlete

Student athletes are committed to their sport and their grades. It’s a true art to constantly balance both.

Emma Safari

Emma Safari, Photojournalist

There is no doubt that school is hard. From honors classes to AP classes, it is difficult to keep up with all of the assignments and have time to prepare for tests and presentations. So how do the student athletes of Yorba Linda High School manage to keep everything at a balance?

With off season, pre-season, and regular season, many sports are year round. This means that practices are also year round as well. Many student athletes have to keep a timely schedule in order to accomplish all of their tasks throughout the day. However, it’s not exactly the easiest thing to do. 

“It can be hard to juggle school, extracurriculars, and a sport because each requires so much time,” Nania Brar (9) says.

Time is the one thing that student athletes cannot get enough of. As hard as they work to put in work to keep their grades up and keep their starting positions on their teams, there are not enough hours in a day to cram in everything that needs to be done. “It is really hard to be a student athlete because by the time [that] practice is over and I do all [of] my homework, the day is over, and I have to go to bed.  I have no time to do anything else,” says James Vas (10), who plays water polo.

Student athletes also tend to deal with lots of excess stress and pressure. Like every student, athletes need to pass their classes in order to graduate. But, unlike regular students, student athletes are required to uphold a certain grade point average to be eligible to play their sport. Maintaining a balanced schedule is hard for many, but it is especially hard for student athletes who have to find time to do their homework, turn in assignments on time, study for tests, and attend mandatory practices. All of these necessities can make it overbearing at times. “I’m a part of the women’s basketball team at Yorba Linda High School. It’s hard being a student athlete because you have to create a balance between school and practice. It can get overwhelming with homework, tests, and practice, but regardless, I enjoy doing the sport and being a part of the team,” says Andrea Rodriguez (11)

Being dedicated to a sport means putting in lots of time and effort. These student athletes know what it means to love their sports, which is why they are prepared to sacrifice so much time and energy into it. Regardless of how hard school gets or how frustrating it is to miss out on school events and being unable to hang out with friends it is all worth it as long as it pays off in the end. “The whole goal is to play in college and to hopefully get a scholarship. It’s why I put so much into my sport. I love it and there is absolutely nothing else that I would want to dedicate myself to,” Emma Safari (10).