Makayla Medellin D1 Commitment

Makayla Medellin, a senior at Yorba Linda High School, has just committed to California State University of Long Beach

Natalie Smith

Emma Safari, Photojournalist

Top athletes from around the country are currently being committed to division one schools that offer the best sports programs available. Here at Yorba Linda High, the Mustangs have made it clear that they c

I chose to go to CSULB because it’s a great school and they have a great softball program. The athletes on the team share a strong team bond and I look forward to being a part of that.

— Makayla Medellin (12)

an run with the stampede. Makayla Medellin is a prime example as she has just recently committed to California State University Long Beach. In 2017, Makayla won the National Berth Award during the Premier Girls Fastpitch Tournament, in 2019, she, along with her teammates won the National Championship during the Premier Girls Fastpitch Tournament, and during the 2020-2021 softball season at YLHS, she had the highest batting average on the Varsity team.

When asked why she chose California State University of Long Beach, Makayla Medellin (12) answered, “I chose to go to CSULB because it’s a great school and they have a great softball program. The athletes on the team share a strong team bond and I look forward to being a part of that.” These were two of Makalya’s top reasons to attend CSULB because as a student-athlete, it is important to not only find a school with good academics but a good team that has a tight bond with one another as well.  By having a tight bond, teams work more seamlessly and plays are made more efficiently. She is eager to join her new softball family as soon as she graduates from YLHS.

During her four years at Yorba Linda High School, Makayla has affected the lives of dozens of people in numerous ways. A longtime friend and teammate, Natalie Smith (12), shares,  “Makayla has made an impact on my life that nobody else could. She’s so confident, kind, strong, and has an uplifting spirit that nobody else has. Makayla has made me a better person and I cannot thank her enough for it.” Makayla has made a lasting impression on the lives of both people on and off of the softball field. 

From her work ethic to her love for the game and her friends, Makayla is somebody that many can look up to, especially the freshmans and sophomores on the Yorba Linda High School softball team, Many of whom have established a close relationship with her and are beyond proud to see their teammate attend and play at a division one level school. Madalyn Martin (10), who is the pitcher on the Mustang softball team and another good friend of Makalya says, “I’m going to be really sad to see all [of] the seniors go this year, especially Mak. I’m so excited to see her continue her career playing D1 close to home so I can watch her play.” Madalyn, like many others, expressed her enthusiasm towards seeing Makayla play D1 college ball in the near future and is looking forward to following Makalya during her college career.

As seen on Makayla’s Instagram story, many were excited to share the news of her college commitment and took to social media to express their pride. Many wanted to congratulate her on her large achievement, including Morgan Lastinger, a former Mustang who now attends and plays softball for Chapman University,  says, “I am so incredibly proud of Makayla. All of the hard work has definitely paid off and I knew it would eventually.” It has been made evidently clear that everyone wanted to congratulate her one way or another, either in person or over social media.

Makayla Medellin has been a star athlete ever since she was young and she has repeatedly overcome challenge over challenge, such as breaking her back during her freshman year of high school. Even with this setback, Makayla managed to make a full recovery and become an even better softball player. “She is one of the best softball players I have ever played with,” Morgan Lastinger adds. 

In about nine months time, this loved and adored Mustang will be leaving the stampede to join her new teammates along with Elbee the shark, who happens to be her new mascot. However, once a Mustang, always a Mustang; Makalya will be one influence who will not be forgotten at Yorba Linda High School.