2021 Senior Activites

PYLUSD Good News Report

This year’s graduation ceremony will look similar to pre-COVID times. We are so excited for our seniors to experience this special day!

Paige Reddick, Photojournalist

As our school year nears its conclusion, multiple activities are lined up to celebrate our senior class. I want to comb through the planned itinerary, providing information on each event and the preparation needed for each event!

Monday, May 17th: Academic Mustang Achievement Awards

On May 17th, all grade levels gathered in the quad to receive their merit-based awards. Each student who qualified for an award was given the opportunity to converse with classmates, teachers, friends, and even take a picture in front of a decorative background alongside Dr. Dinh. We are so happy to see our classmates celebrated for their academic achievements! If you were unable to pick up your awards, they are available in the front office. Great job, Mustangs!

Friday, May 28th: Senior Farewell Rally

What an incredible experience it was for the senior class to attend their final in-person rally! With inspiration from Disney’s “Up,” ASB threw an incredible event, including a Cheer & Song performance, a “Senior Boys” dance, a Dance Co. routine, fun games, talented vocalists, and the final alma mater recitation. Delaney Chaffin (12) is incredibly grateful to have been able to “see [her] last in-person rally before leaving high school.” She will always remember the “exciting moments, infectious laughter in the audience, and overall spirit for [her] school.” While only seniors were able to attend this rally in-person, every other Mustang watched virtually! If you were unable to attend or view this rally, the recording is posted on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4l7EhKdpQU).

Wednesday, June 2nd: Senior Awards

Our school was incredibly excited to announce that Senior Awards will be taking place in-person this year! The ceremony will occur between the times of 5:30 PM and 7 PM in the quad. Each invitee is permitted to bring two guests. Despite a change in location, masks, and social distancing, this ceremony is close to that prior to COVID-19. Thus, our seniors are excited to experience this special night as they are awarded for their successes and determination!

Monday, June 14th: Cap & Gown and Graduation Ticket Pick-Up, Senior Sunset

The start of Senior Week begins with the Cap & Gown and Graduation Ticket Pick-Up. From 10-11:30 AM, seniors will come to the school to pick up any attire needed for graduation, including caps, gowns, stoles, cords, medallions, etc. At this time, students will also be able to pick up their six graduation tickets for their friends and family to attend the graduation ceremony.

Later in the day, the Senior Sunset activity will begin at 5:30 PM and conclude at 8 PM. Check-in begins at 5 PM and students must purchase tickets beforehand at the ASB office for $30. Ticket sales will end on June 4th at 3 PM. The event will take place in the quad with a Tommy’s Truck, kettle corn, Mustache Mikes, a coffee cart, a DJ, a photo booth, and raffle items. Also, Senior Superlatives will be announced! Seniors, make sure to check your emails and fill out the Google Form to vote for your superlative choices. We are so excited that the senior class is able to gather for this social activity!

Tuesday, June 15th: Knott’s Berry Farm

The senior class will be taking a trip to Knott’s Berry Farm on the day preceding graduation. Students must purchase a ticket before June 4th at 3 PM for $35 at the ASB office. Students must also turn in a permission slip form when purchasing their tickets. Seniors will meet at the amusement park at 10 AM and can enjoy the rest of the day at Knott’s! This event serves as the last social activity for the senior class before graduation!

Wednesday, June 16th: Graduation

Well, this marks the last senior activity for the class of 2021: graduation. This possibly daunting event is here, and we are so excited to have an in-person graduation this year, hoping that our seniors will leave high school with a sense of normalcy in a year that can be characterized as far from normal. Graduation rehearsal will take place from 12-1 PM and the ceremony will take place from 7-8:30 PM. Each student will have six graduation tickets to give to family members and friends. The Mustang community is so excited to send the class of 2021 off with traditional graduation!

As this year concludes, we are so fortunate for the activities the senior class gets to experience amid the pandemic. While safety guidelines remain in place, the senior class will leave high school with exciting and special memories of their last few weeks as an official Mustang. Congratulations, seniors!