What Have YLHS Athletes Learned During Quarantine?

Hannah Bucklin

An example of Hannah Bucklin (11) playing soccer at home to continue with her soccer fitness.

Karina Shah, Photojournalist

Ever since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, many athletes have not been able to train the way that they had previously done due to the shutdown of contact sports, gyms, courts, fields, and other places that are used to train. At Yorba Linda High School, sports came to a halt on March 13 when the school faced a mandatory closing. Many athletes were displaced out of their usual routines and had to adapt to the new settings they were thrown into. The question is: What have YLHS athletes learned during quarantine?

Niamh Mayhew (12) plays baseball, softball and is in track/field. She has learned many things from being in quarantine and continuing her athletic pursuits. She says that since “Scouting and Black Out Date” at the time wasn’t stalled or extended, we had to keep our routines so whenever we could go back full time, we wouldn’t skip a beat.” Her concern for sports recruiting was agreeable for many high school athletes and coaches. Many student-athletes continue to independently train while the nature of recruiting is uncertain. Even the Next College Student Athlete Site (NSCA) understands that “the entire sports community has been forced to make difficult decisions in response to the coronavirus pandemic” (ncsasports.com). Niamh also views the pandemic in a positive light to show who is truly dedicated to her sport. Many athletes, though concerned about recruitment, continue to train in any way that they can. 

Sam Losa (10) wrestles at Yorba Linda High School. He takes a motivational standing point to the question, “What have you learned as an athlete during quarantine?” He responds, “I have learned that you can do anything you put your mind to.” His motivation has been his own gain throughout the entirety of the pandemic. He uses the example, “You can always find a way to work out, even though you may not have the equipment.” Some alternatives to having access to a gym or proper equipment are using heavy objects or water jugs as weights, jump roping for easy at-home cardio, and simple backyard yoga for flexibility. 

Hannah Bucklin (11), a soccer player, takes a greater concern about staying in shape when being at home. She uses the strategy that “being an athlete at home means that I have to micromanage the way I eat and take care of myself.” Eating a nutritious diet with things like healthy carbohydrates, lean meat, and tons of water is a great way to take care of yourself during quarantine and allows for keeping in better shape for athletes and non-athletes. She goes on to say that she makes sure “not to stray too far away by eating lots of junk food and staying fit while stationary more often.” Her attention to personal health is a concern for many students, and Hannah suggests it is a great way to upkeep your body and mind for a smooth transition back into sports.  

Jack Johnson (11), plays lacrosse and football for YLHS. He says “I have learned how to work around not having scheduled practices and lifts.” Scheduled workouts are the basis of an athlete’s training, and due to COVID-19, many athletes have lost that structured schedule. This has led to many creating their own workout routines and schedules. Many apps like Strava, Platform, and MapMyFitness have been found helpful for athletes to keep up with routine workouts. These apps can give you things like ideal times to work out, calories burned, and specific workouts for different types of goals. 

Athletes at Yorba Linda High School have been spending their time working in the past few months. They offer great advice as to how they stay in shape, stay motivated, and keep on working. When sports are back it will be clear to see that Yorba Linda High School is here to play!