The Announcement of Moana 2

As the teaser trailer for Moana 2 was released a few days ago, fans are growing excited for the new movie to hit theaters.
Deadline

It is looking like Disney is going to make big money in their November box office; their new Moana 2 trailer got one hundred seventy-eight million views within twenty four hours. It is obvious that this new movie has got fans anxious for more.

The original movie followed a young Polynesian chief’s daughter named Moana who was told by her grandma to venture beyond the reef of her island in hopes of finding a solution to save her island from starvation and death. On her journey, she meets demi-god Maui, who helps her on her quest. The movie holds on to the idea that self-perseverance and courage are some of the most important things to hold onto when faced with adversity.

Now, why is it that a mere sequel to a Disney animated film got so much attention? It could have a lot to do with the fact that the original movie was highly acclaimed as it is. Moana’s domestic opening in 2016 made $57 million in the box office on its first day. Auli’i Cravalho voices Moana and Dwayne Johnson voices the character of Maui (Johnson’s popularity plays a factor in why the movie is as popular as it is)

The new movie takes place three years after the original movie, and Moana and Maui reunite again to go on a new voyage which was called upon Moana by her ancestors into Oceania. The rest of the plot is pretty vague from what you can see in the trailer, but many fans are still excited nonetheless. 

Overall, the original movie holds a special place in many people’s hearts for various reasons. One of the main reasons people love the movie so much is because the main character, Moana, is a perfect example of a strong female lead in a Disney franchise. In past Disney princess movies, the girls main plot is usually circled around romance and most of the time being saved by a prince. Moana, however, is very different. Disney writers have actually agreed that the character of Moana would not focus on romantic relationships in the franchise but rather focus on her own character growth. Moana can be seen as a good role model for all young girls everywhere, and she perfectly models the importance of bravery and determination.

Because of all these factors that played a part in making the original movie so successful, fans cannot wait for the storyline continuation of Moana and Maui in theaters November 27, 2024. Yorba Linda High School Student, Shreya Shah (11), told the Wrangler, “I think everyone is so excited for Moana 2 because they admired her as children, and we can’t wait to see her story grow.”

“I think everyone is so excited for Moana 2 because they admired her as children, and we can’t wait to see her story grow.”

— Shreya Shah (11)