The Rise of Women’s Varsity Soccer Captains

Philip Mangiaracina

The women’s soccer program ready for the upcoming season.

Katherine Ortiz, Photojournalist

The anticipation and excitement for YLHS’s women’s soccer season has been building up. This team has won numerous league titles and YLHS will not expect anything less from these talented players. This year’s team is led by captains, Neleah Dunlap (12), Yewon Shin (11), and Faith Hunt (12).

Neleah Dunlap (12), has been part of this program for four years and this is her second consecutive year as varsity captain, leading her team to victory last year and hopefully this season as well. Not only a captain, Dunlap balances her dedication to soccer with ap classes and Slammers ecnl, her club soccer team. Earlier this school year, Dunlap committed to Cal Baptist University to play division 1 soccer. She hopes to major in criminal justice or forensic science for a future career in the FBI.

This year’s only junior captain, Yewon Shin (11), has been part of the women’s soccer program throughout her entire high school career and this is her second year on varsity soccer. Born in Seoul, South Korea, Shin moved to America at the age of six with her family and twin brother, Jaewon Shin (11). Shin’s rigorous AP classes, soccer team, and numerous clubs on campus keep her occupied throughout the school year. Shin has not yet decided on a college, but has an aspiration to major in psychology.

Four year varsity player, Faith Hunt (12), is a member of YLHS Varsity Track & Field and also women’s varsity soccer captain two years in a row. Hunt’s dedication to soccer can be seen both on and off the field as fellow player, Sydney Barnes (10), exclaims, “Faith works hard at every game and every practice. She is the type of player every coach wants and that every player strives to be.” Not only a varsity athlete, Hunt is also an AP student, president of the Fellow Christian Athletes Club at YLHS, and a member of her club soccer team, Blues SC. Prior to soccer season, Hunt committed to Vanguard University for division 1 soccer and track & field. She is eager to attend Vanguard and wants to major in kinesiology.

Our women’s soccer team has worked hard all of preseason and are prepared to dominate league this season. These soccer sensations are amazing on the field and in the classroom as model students. Yorba Linda High School can not wait to watch these players lead women’s soccer to victory this year, demonstrating that being an amazing player is not only based on talent, but dedication and love for their sport.