Football Game and Senior Night a Great Success

An Unforgettable Night for YLHS Seniors

Photo Courtesy of Kobi Khong

Cheer and Song prepare for the game on Senior Night.

Janet Han, Section Editor

With a final score of 47:7 to beat Brea Olinda High School, Yorba Linda High School’s victory at the football game on Friday was a wonderful way to celebrate Senior Night, which also took place that day. 

Spirits were high throughout the game and even before, as the senior football players, as well as cheer and song members, were commemorated on the field. As their names were called, the seniors walked through a balloon arch. The seniors were escorted with their parents, siblings, and other people close to them for their special night.

After the celebration, the game began, with Yorba Linda quickly taking the lead. With touchdown after touchdown, victory seemed imminent. “It was so exciting,” says Raymond Nguyen (12), of the night, “there was so much positive energy from the players, the Stable, and everyone else supporting Yorba Linda High.” 

The score was 40:0 when at halftime, and the players took a break and seniors from the band, choir, and color guard were recognized. 

With the students on one side of the field and their relatives on the other, the second part of Senior Night began. As their names were called, the seniors and their corresponding friends and family members stepped up to the center and walked under the balloon arch. It was a truly touching moment, and the ceremony was accompanied by cheers that reflected the crowd’s excitement.

“It was really fun but emotional because I never imagined myself to be in this position,” said Warren Lee (12), former drum captain and current member of the band. “After seeing three generations of seniors graduate and go through the same experience, it was truly meaningful to be recognized for all my years in the band. It is definitely a night that I will never forget, and it was also one of the best games that I’ve been to. I wish the future of the program good luck after graduation.” 

“It was fun being able to have my family with me after spending so many football games just with my friends,” said Lauren Schatzman (12), a member of the school’s color guard. “It was sort of odd because I’ve gone to so many senior nights and seen people older than me, and it’s weird that it finally happened for me.” 

Katelyn Birchfield (12), a member of the choir, said “It was really cool getting recognized for choir and being a senior in front of such a large portion of the student body as well as their parents. It was a really sentimental moment that the seniors shared together. It was one of the many unforgettable memories that I have made and hope to make during my senior year.”