YLHS Women’s Lacrosse Season Overview

YLHS Women’s Lacrosse
The YLHS Varsity Women’s Lacrosse team cheerful after their 20-9 win against Esperanza High School.

The Yorba Linda High School Women’s Lacrosse team has had a fantastic year this spring season. The Mustangs have gone 11-10 overall, placing third in the very competitive Crestview League. They also qualified and made the first round of CIF, cutting their season to an end after a tough loss against Royal High.

Playing better competition improved our own game and allowed us to play better than we ever have, despite the outcome.

— Sora Choi (12)

The Mustangs started out this season with extreme energy and excitement, which showed in their stats. They went 8-2 before their first league game against Esperanza, which also resulted in a 20-9 victory. As competition became more difficult, the Mustangs were still able to keep their momentum and give everything they had. When asked about this year’s lacrosse season, varsity co-captain Sora Choi (12) stated, “This season was definitely a more challenging one compared to last, but I feel like the girls were closer and we were able to play a lot more as a team. Playing better competition improved our own game and allowed us to play better than we ever have, despite the outcome.”

One game that stood out to many was the league matchup against El Dorado High School. The Mustangs knew this was an essential win to take home in order to secure a spot in CIF. The game was full of action and passion since both teams knew that their spot in CIF would narrow down to this game. Although the score went back and forth between both teams, the Mustangs secured the win with a score of 17-14. 

This year, our very own Sora Choi (12) scored her 100th goal of the season during the CIF matchup against Royal High School. As a senior, Sora states, “My favorite memory was coming to practice everyday. The girls make me love the sport even more than I thought I could and I’m so thankful for every single one of them. This was the best end to high school lacrosse.”

For our JV team, they were all about learning and having fun this year. With 16 new players, 9 of them being freshmen, there was an extreme learning curve to get over during the first few games of the season. However, our Mustangs learned quickly about what it takes to be a team and how to overcome obstacles that came in their way. JV co-captain Makenna Maloof (10) states, “I would say that my favorite game this season was when we got our first win against El Toro High School and every single girl was impressed in how well we played and was super excited. That was such a special moment for our team since we also had a brand new goalie playing for her very first time!”

Overall, the Mustangs gave it their all this season, showing their hard work and dedication through their wins and their loses.