4 Tips for a Healthy Summer

Stephen Serrano

Me (left) and Sarah Kim (11) at the beach during the summertime.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

During the summer, everyone is less stressed and more laid back. School has just finished and there is finally more time to hangout with friends and have more free time. Even though it is only a mere two and a half months, there are many things in the summer that can harm you. Listed below are the best tips for this summer that can keep you happy and healthy.

1. Stay Hydrated

Because the temperature and overall weather in the summer is hot and dry in Southern California, it is vital for you to drink many fluids. Due to the sun beating down on you and creating heat, sweating is a given. With sweat comes dehydration which can lead to dizziness and loss of the senses. Whether it be good old water or your favorite beverage (in moderation), make sure to drink whenever you are feeling thirsty and to not over drink fluids.

1. Wear Sunscreen

Of course, this one seems like a given, but many people still do not take this precaution to its full seriousness. With little to no clouds in the sky during a typical summer day, the sun’s full exposure allows for more UV radiation to come down on Earth. These UV rays can cause skin cancer, cataracts, and other diseases. One way to combat this issue is by using sunscreen whenever you are outside–especially at the beach where the sun is seen all day. This also prevents painful sunburns and peeling of skin.

1. Catch Up on Sleep

Whether you are a night owl or early bird, high school days start very early and leave many students sleep deprived. With the extra leisure time, you should take naps more frequently than in the school year because there is little homework (only for AP students). It has been proven that a person’s body clock officially wakes up around 9:00am. Summer allows students to sleep in as long as they want to. Make sure to enjoy the sleep before the year ends. The extra hours of sleep can aid in your overall mood and health.

1. Take a Walk Outside

With the summer heat,it is really easy to get caught up in staying inside and enjoying the air conditioning. Although it is satisfying, getting the very much needed Vitamin D outside can boost your immune system and give you the tan you’ve always wanted. It is best to walk or run outside before 10:00am where UV radiation is lessened. Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

These are just a couple of tips to help with making summer the best time of year. Sarah Kim (11) agrees with these tips and “will definitely implement them in [her] summer.”