In the Heart of the Oasis: Coachella 2024

The Indio-based festival welcomes concert-goers, music lovers, celebrities, and influencers with their vastly decorated festival grounds.

The air is buzzing with anticipation as music lovers navigate the vibrant oasis nestled in the sun-kissed heart of California’s desert landscape. Celebrities, influencers, and your average music connoisseur either stake tents in the musical playground, or kick back in a nearby hotel or AirBnB. The highly anticipated music and arts festival, Coachella, makes its return to Indio, California in spring of 2024. Spanning over two weekends, the festival includes performances from over 160 artists and bands, paired with an extensive selection of dishes from some of the highest-rated restaurants in Los Angeles. 

The first weekend of the Empire Polo Club-held festival takes place from April 12-14, and the second on April 19-21. Snagging tickets to the long-awaited event began as early as a couple months in advance. Tickets are also frequently sold and purchased through third-party markets, many of which are priced up from the original price. For general admission, tickets are priced around $550 dollars and $633 dollars for shuttle combo tickets. As a VIP, a $1,119 dollar ticket would translate into VIP access to specialty food and drink vendors, shaded seating areas, air-conditioned restrooms, and full cash bars. However, Coachella performances are live-streamed on the Coachella Youtube channel, so a ticket is not completely necessary if one still wants to enjoy performances from their favorite artists. 

Headlining the Indio festival for its 25th annual opening are Lana Del Rey, Tyler, The Creator, and finally Doja Cat. The two weekend performance features well-known artists such as Lil Uzi Vert, Deftones, Sublime, Sabrina Carpenter, Tyla, Faye Webster, Ice Spice, Jungle, J Balvin, Lil Yachty, DJ Snake, Coi Leray, Bebe Rexha, Jhené Aiko, Grimes, Chloë, and Reneé Rapp, to name a few. An exciting addition comes in the form of a No Doubt reunion; this will be the first since their last live performances in 2015! Rising artists including the Last Dinner Party, Chappell Roan, Raye, and FLO are additionally scheduled to perform at the one-of-a-kind musical experience. As a worldwide phenomenon, Coachella is observed at a global scale, and international artists will also make appearances during the two weekends. K-pop groups such as LE SSERAFIM and ATEEZ will both take up a stage in the Coachella line-up, joined with some of Asia’s up-and-coming artists, known as 88RISING FUTURES. Latin names also take up the big stage with artists such as Carin León, Latin Mafia, Peso Pluma, Flores, and Julietota! However, these are not the only musical names that are guaranteed to make appearances at the festival; customarily, numerous artists bring out other artists to their stage to make a surprise cameo!

Coachella is iconic in the world of social media and the hotspot for influencers and celebrities alike. Every year, several top-list celebrities and influencers can be spotted on Coachella grounds. On numerous occasions, these individuals hire stylists, and more often than not, Coachella turns into a fashion show, embracing the eclectic blend of bohemian flair and modern chic. Lucy Lu (10) marvels, “I always look forward to Coachella fashion. The amount of effort put into these outfits never go unnoticed!” Typically, crochet clothing is a fundamental piece in Coachella, ranging from crochet tops, to crochet bags, etc. Additionally, cowboy hats, fringed suede jackets, and extravagant maxi dresses mingle with sequined bodysuits, vintage band tees, statement sunglasses, and several inch high boots. However, many recommend comfortable clothing or shoes, as the festival involves a lot of walking from one stage to another.

“I always look forward to Coachella fashion. The amount of effort put into these outfits never go unnoticed!”

— Lucy Lu (10)

In essence, the desert turned pop cultural music festival is where creativity joins spontaneity, rhythm, style, and community.  From the towering sculptures and art installations to the unique delicacies and photo-opt hubs, a symphony of sensory thrills awaits, where one can be fully immersed in the melodies of their favorite artists.