Prom Trends!

Modsele
This Sherri Hill dress is one of the most popular of the season.

“I think that the floral dress trend is super cute and honestly I might just have to partake in it myself.”

— Hannah Jebelli

This year there are some very exciting Prom trends. Everyone has their take on what to wear and the norms of the event, more so than years prior. Some of the standout trends are “Picnic Prom,” the Sherri Hill 55500 dress, and having small bouquets instead of corsages.   

The idea behind  “Picnic Prom” is floral dresses with more pastel colors over the normal glitz and glamor. It is a much softer and more natural looking than what a lot of people tend to go for but it seems to be taking over. The dresses are usually styled with voluptuous blowouts and bright sparkly makeup. This trend is pretty controversial because a lot of people believe that more dramatic looks are what prom is all about and that this trend kind of ruins that illusion. Overall, it seems that the consensus of the trend is that it is based on the theme of your event and how seriously your school takes Prom. 

I am sure everyone has seen the iconic Sherri Hill 55500 dress. The dress is almost the complete opposite of the “Picnic Prom” trend with over $800 with layers of sparkly tulle, bright colors, and an embellished corset top. The dress is known for its timeless elegance and super-flattering silhouette. The gown has captured the attention of high schoolers everywhere. It exudes red-carpet glamor and sophistication. As it gains popularity, it is now available in a variety of colors and fabrics, making it the perfect dress for a lot of people. 

Instead of traditional corsages, people are opting for small bouquets as their floral accessory of choice. These miniature bouquets offer a modern twist on a classic prom tradition. I personally really like this trend, I think corsages are boring and overdone so this change is very welcomed. I also think that the bouquets allow a lot more customization and convenience to your look. 

I asked students at Yorba Linda High School what their take on some of these trends is: Anvi Bagatavula (12) commented “Unpopular opinion, but I actually really do not like the Sherri Hill dress. It is pretty overdone and the style is just a bunch of popular things meshed together.” Next, Hannah Jebelli (12) says “I think that the floral dress trend is super cute and honestly I might just have to partake in it myself.” Overall, the prom trends this year are pretty debated but unique and fun nonetheless!