Deck the Halls Competition

Above is Ms. Ferris’ holiday door based around the Grinch and Ariana Grande’s song “Thank U, Next”.

Stephen Serrano

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

It’s that time of year again! The holidays are just around the corner. It’s not just any other week this school year but it is the second annual Deck the Halls Competition at YLHS! The competition is based around creating a holiday decorated door during your third period class. Classes had one week to create an original idea based around the holidays and put it up on their doors.

Most of the doors were based around the class subject or trends and memes influenced by social media. Others included puns, jokes, and funny cutouts. The judges for 2018 were the counselors.

The doors this year blew everyone away! Because this is the second year of the competition, many third period classes were definitely more competitive this year due to the fact that they knew what to expect from last year.

The following classes were recognized as the top ranked holiday doors for the 2018 Deck the Halls Competition!

Most Festive: Mr. Schumert (Staff)

Most Creative: Mrs. St. Amant (Staff)

Most Artistic: Mrs. Maeder (Staff)

Honorable Mention: Mrs. Nam (Staff)

Best Overall: Ms. Fritz (Staff)

Congratulations to all the classes that were recognized! All of your doors were beautifully designed and put together. Also, huge shoutout to Ms. Fritz’s third period for winning the best overall door!

Even though there was fierce competition between teachers and students, the experience itself was amazing. The Deck the Halls Competition was meant to increase the holiday spirit on campus. The doors definitely boosted the excitement and spirits of the staff and students. After the competition judging on Monday afternoon, door decorations stayed up until students were out for winter break.

When asked what he thought about the Deck the Halls Competition, Nick Deang (11) who was apart of Ms. Ferris’ third period AP Lang class, said that “it was a fun experience creating the door because working with classmates brought us closer together”. He was ecstatic for the competition and brought the holiday spirit with him.

Nevertheless, the Deck the Halls Competition has become a new tradition here at YLHS. Whatever you do or celebrate this year, make sure to stay safe Mustangs! Enjoy the company of family and friends and, stay rested, and take time for yourselves during winter break! Come back to YLHS in 2019 better than ever and excited for the new year! On behalf of The Wrangler, have a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The...