Can the Colors You Wear Really Affect Your Mood?

color psychology;  photo courtesy of True Value Paint

color psychology; photo courtesy of True Value Paint

Bita Zadeh, Photojournalist

Do colors really have an impact on an individual’s mood? Research says yes! Surprisingly, colors have a substantial effect on a person’s mood, behavior and stress levels.

The colors we surround ourselves with affect us much more than we know. We associate colors with so many different things. Some studies even suggest that we feel colors more than we see them. Here are some popular colors and ways that you can use them to your advantage in your everyday life.

Red

Want to get someone’s attention? Red is the perfect color! The color red empowers and draws attention. It’s also strongly associated with romance and passion, making it a perfect date-night color. But, red has also been known to stimulate the appetite and makes individuals crave junk food, so wear it with caution.

Yellow

Sunny shades of yellow are the perfect hue to cheer anyone up on a bad day! On days of feeling the blues, pop on some yellow and it may help boost one’s mood. Yellow is also associated with intelligence and inspiration, so wearing  yellow on the day of a big exam might just be a factor for some extra answers.

Green

Shades of green are calm and soothing, as well as associated with nature. Green is refreshing and has been found to reduce stress in those who look at it. If overwhelmed during finals week, add green to each outfit and it will help relieve some tension.

Blue

Blue is a color that can be both peaceful and calming as well as cold and standoffish. Just like green, the color blue helps  individuals feel more relaxed. However, steer away from blue if sad or distressed – the color blue can subconsciously make you feel literally more “blue.”

Purple

Purple is associated with creativity and luxury. Like red, purple is a very revitalizing color which can boost energy levels. It’s also a color that is sometimes associated with spirituality and intuition. So wearing purple may just help a sticky situation.

Pink

We all associate pink as the true girly-girl’s favorite color, but it’s also associated with romance and happiness. Pink is very calming, so don’t wear it if you need tons of energy. Because of its romance association, pink is also a good choice for dates. Not only dates, wearing pink boost a bit of energy. Of course, if you personally hate pink, then that won’t work for you.

Black

Black signifies power, seriousness, authority, and responsibility – a great color to wear to a job interview. Black is also a color that  gives a some rocker-chick edge. If you’re shy but want to feel like a rebel one day, some black nail polish should do the trick!

Bita Zadeh, photojournalist

Bita Zadeh is a senior at Yorba Linda High School. She is a photojournalist for The Wrangler. She decided to join the staff because she has always had...