Congress Introduces Bill to Ban TikTok

On March 13th, 2024, the House of Representatives gave TikTok two choices: “find a buyer for the immensely popular app or face a nationwide ban in the US” (NPR). TikTok is owned by the Chinese company Bytedance, and this new bill that the House introduced only gave the company six months to find a buyer. This is almost impossible, as the app is worth billions of dollars, meaning most companies cannot afford to buy it. This caused outrage across social media as many TikTok creators have voiced their feelings about the ban. Even though the bill has not passed through the Senate yet, there is definitely a chance that it will be banned in the United States.

So, what is the reasoning behind this ban? Whilst many people believe that the ban is due to some of the disturbing content on TikTok, Congress’s main concern is actually Bytedance’s association with the Chinese Communist Party (news). Lawmakers believe that Tiktok’s widespread popularity in the United States can pose a threat to national security because the Chinese government “could use TikTok to spy on Americans, push pro-China propaganda, or use the service to interfere with US elections” (NPR). In 2022, Bytedance actually admitted that “former employees – but not government officials – had surveilled Americans on TikTok” (NPR). This raises concern for many representatives as they believe the CCP could potentially manipulate the app to their advantage in the future. However, Tiktok’s CEO denies that the Chinese government controls the app and access to user data. (NBC)

In opposition to this ban, many TikTok creators gathered on Capitol Hill and held signs reading “Keep TikTok.” One of these creators, Paul Tran, created a skincare company with his wife and used TikTok as a means to advertise his products. He expressed, “If you pass this bill, you will be destroying the American dream we believe in” (NBC). Many others, like Tran, believe that the ban is limiting their freedom of expression and that the app can only be banned if there is an extremely serious threat to national security. As of now, there is no evidence proving that the CCP is truly controlling TikTok and spying on American users. Sarah Jacobs, a Democrat from California, expressed that Congress’s concerns about TikTok can be said about any other platform. Social media is not safe, and many apps can be easily manipulated. Other opposers have also highlighted the anti-Chinese remarks made by certain congressmen. Additionally, many people online have argued that there are more pressing concerns than TikTok’s threat to national security. Sophie Johnson (12)expressed, “I do not think the bill is necessary. Congress should direct their attention to bigger problems right now.”

“I do not think the bill is necessary. Congress should direct their attention to bigger problems right now.”

— Sophie Johnson (12)